smog

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

drive it around for 30 minutes before testing. the hotter the better. some people have put cardboard in front of their radiators to heat up their engine or octain booster or premium gas. lean out the carb air/fuel mixture as much as possible.

dont test it with the engine not warmed up.

thanks guys a plenty

like some of you saw i sold my truck

but the guy i sold it to is claiming he cant pass ownership until it passes smog

but my truck had already passed smog he claimed it didnt when he took it

well im guessing sense i passed it and have the paperwork for it it shouldnt be my problem right?

thanks guys a plenty

like some of you saw i sold my truck

but the guy i sold it to is claiming he cant pass ownership until it passes smog

but my truck had already passed smog he claimed it didnt when he took it

well im guessing sense i passed it and have the paperwork for it it shouldnt be my problem right?

Sounds to me that if he bought it from you, in other words you have his cash and he has your 'pink slip', the sale is done and over with. If he bought it from you without a smog certificate and is now coming back to you claiming that he can't pass smog so he can't register it, too bad for him. It's a used vehicle so there are no guarantees on a as-is car or truck. Granted it is California law that a seller is supposed to provide the new buyer a smog certificate but that is before the sale takes place.

If it was me and I sold it to someone without a smog and they later came back complaining it won't pass...I'd say sorry it's not my car anymore, you bought it as is...well maybe not that hardcore but I'd let them know that they bought it knowing they would have to get it smogged and if it's having problems doing so it's up to you on how much you want to help them. I would be somewhat helpful but not bend over backwards since they should have known better before buying it. Not trying to sound mean but they really have no claim on you.

well sorry to tell you, your certificate aint worth the paper its printed on, after 90days its no longer valid, if you had sold it within the 90 days you were good to go, but my question is this, if you smoged it in march, did you reg it too?, Also, did he buy the truck "as is" if so its all on him and if he said he would smog it, its all on him too,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the way I read the DMV rules you are responsible as the seller to provide the buyer with a "valid" smog cert. Since yours is older than the 90 days your responsible for it.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2537

The way the DMV states it is "The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer."

So if that seller would have bought it without the smog certificate then it's not the previous owners responsibility...hence this guy doesn't have to do anything. If the new buyer would have said "I can't buy it from you until it passes smog" then this guy would be responsible to smog it but as is, it's on the new owner.

Why would anyone buy a car, hand over the money, sign the paperwork all without a valid smog certificate in hand? That's just plain dumb on their part.

The way the DMV states it is "The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer."

So if that seller would have bought it without the smog certificate then it's not the previous owners responsibility...hence this guy doesn't have to do anything. If the new buyer would have said "I can't buy it from you until it passes smog" then this guy would be responsible to smog it but as is, it's on the new owner.

Why would anyone buy a car, hand over the money, sign the paperwork all without a valid smog certificate in hand? That's just plain dumb on their part.

which means? im not responsible ?

Fineline is totally correct, you're responsible to smog it before selling it (always seller's responsibility to get it smogged before a sale) but if they're willing to buy it as-is with no smog certificate from you then that requirement falls on the new owner...so if you already filled out the title transfer (pink slip) he's the new owner.

I agree if the buyer did truly buy it "as is". But.....do you have paperwork saying so with both of your signatures. All a pink is is a release of liability and an "application" for change of ownership. Ownership cannot change hands in the eyes of the DMV untill all the paperwork is in and unless you have something saying he bought it as is I think your screwed. Thats just my take on it but again I am not a lawyer.