Goes in gear clutch out and.... nothing

jaredperry

I installed a L18 in my car along with a 5 speed.  Car now runs but wont drive... 

I can put the transmission in gear when car is both on and off. 

Slave is has been bled and the fork looks to be working properly once clutch is depressed.

I can put the clutch in (good pedal feel) and there is absolutely nothing when released.  

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly you have the incorrect clutch throwout bearing sleeve (part that the TO bearing is pressed onto) installed. The sleeve must be matched to the height of the clutch pressure plate. If you used the one that came with the 5-speed, it may not be the right one. Take a look at these tables and see if you can figure out which clutch you used, and which sleeve:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6979&title=datsun-pressure-plate-comparison&cat=3129

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6981&title=200mm-clutch-t-2fo-bearing-sleeve-specs&cat=3129

Maybe someone else will have a easier solution. I doubt you want to pull your tranny again to change the sleeve, but it may be necessary.

Len

How much free play does the clutch arm have? 

Did you verify the trans was good before installing?

There's a few ways this could happen:

1) The wrong throwout collar was used, so the clutch is always disengaged.  A too-long collar can do that, but it'd have to be VERY too long.

2) The trans is bad- all gears stripped out, or the input shaft is broken

3) The trans shift linkage is broken

4) There isn't a clutch in it at all.  Don't think that hasn't happened- it has.  The pressure plate will still have spring load, so it "feels" ok.

How much free play does the clutch arm have? 

Did you verify the trans was good before installing?

There's a few ways this could happen:

1) The wrong throwout collar was used, so the clutch is always disengaged.  A too-long collar can do that, but it'd have to be VERY too long.

2) The trans is bad- all gears stripped out, or the input shaft is broken

3) The trans shift linkage is broken

4) There isn't a clutch in it at all.  Don't think that hasn't happened- it has.  The pressure plate will still have spring load, so it "feels" ok.

No play in the arm below on the trans.  Lever is very firm.

How do you verify a sealed trans and the if the linkage is good?  Noob status question here... 

Possibly you have the incorrect clutch throwout bearing sleeve (part that the TO bearing is pressed onto) installed. The sleeve must be matched to the height of the clutch pressure plate. If you used the one that came with the 5-speed, it may not be the right one. Take a look at these tables and see if you can figure out which clutch you used, and which sleeve:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6979&title=datsun-pressure-plate-comparison&cat=3129

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6981&title=200mm-clutch-t-2fo-bearing-sleeve-specs&cat=3129

Maybe someone else will have a easier solution. I doubt you want to pull your tranny again to change the sleeve, but it may be necessary.

Len

I purchased the used trans/engine married up.  Homeboy claimed that it "all worked fine."  So I don't think I mixed anything up when I separated the two.  I think I am going to pull it anyway and put in a new clutch kit. 

why dont you take photos of all the set up and wait for a post.

trans pressure plate the to. bearing and sleeve and the slave and the rod that goes in the slave.

this is too simple to fuck up that bad but you said it was married up.

What if I did mix up the 5 spd and 4 speed pressure plates? the pressure plates are the same size. however they are the 510 200mm plates the the 200sx 20mm plates and they have different different finger heights thus different T/O collor lengths.

No play in the arm below on the trans.  Lever is very firm.

There should be ~2-3mm of play at the slave/fork lever.  This is so the t/o bearing isn't always riding on the clutch when its engaged. 

There should also be an adjuster on it.  Try loosening it up a bit.

I am a dumbass and mixed up the Throw out Bearing from the four speed and somehow stuck it in the five speed. 

Note to self, the short one is for the four speed and the tall one is four the four speed. 

This now makes sense to me...The pressure plate was constantly being pushed because the TOB was too long, which in turn kept everyting from making contact.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

I did that once.

I either had the clutch slipping and disengaging fully.

Or the clutch engadged fully and always rubbing on disengagement.

The throwout bearing was completely siezed when I removed it.  The clutch teeth were shattered from being pushed in too far.

Its a good thing you found it out now. :)

Make sure to match the sleeve to the clutch plate, not the gearbox.

There is no 4 or 5 speed throw out bearing or clutch or PP. The transmission doesn't care what clutch or motor is ahead of it. 

What does matter is that the length of the sleeve that holds the throw out bearing is matched to the PP.