help engine swap!!!!!

ANDREW5373

I have a 1980 210 original 1.4l 4speed...i am unalble to find a new transmission...so i was able to find a fellow selling a 1974 260z side draft engine with a 4speed including wireing harness...i am in search of information if the engine is reliable and does it have a abundant aftermarket help with parts incase i need to replace and components..and biggest thing is this one of the easier swaps to do?   looking for ant input please

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are trying to fit 6 pounds of shit into a 4 pound bag. It's a 6 cylinder and way way way too long to fit in a small 210. It also weighs a ton and the last thing you want is extra weight over the front end. There are 4 cylinder motors that make as much and can make more than an L26 motor. Add to this the 260z had crappy SU carbs for those years.

Because the L series inline 6 you have your eyes on is a "good deal", or "free", won't magically make your Datto 210 an outstanding car. A shorter version of the L-series, like an L-20 would make a noticeable difference in performance, yet only add about 75lbs or so over the A14. Listen to the folks input on Ratsun here, as many have "been there and done that", and have learned from experience what works, and what doesn't work.

The 260Z trans will be a 31.5" long 71B 4 speed so you can do some measuring if you are curious. But it won't fit an A series motor anyway. It would fit an L20B 4 cylinder if you find one.I believe the HL510 (A10) engine cross member will fit the 210 and will allow the L20B to nestle in the bay perfectly. Both engines have the intake and exhausts on the left side and the L20B makes an easy 93 hp and way more lower speed torque than an A14.

That would be best as far as easy to do. By easy to do, I mean there's a greater chance of a successful finish. If you are rebuilding the motor it will cost as much to get a Z22 block and rebuild it and put an L20B head on it making an LZ22or stroker motor. A little bigger again. But by all means... research, research, research.

yeah  :blush:  he was going to check to see if he one i was going to drive up to pick it up but i think he was unable to find one to fit..if he does i hope he messages me...casue with out a new trans looks like i have to swap out engine......sucks...if i was to sell a runing 1980 a14 engine what would a ratsun price be?

ok i just wanted to update everyone....so i started looking into to l20b engine...i dont know if im just not looking in the right places or typing the wrong stuff...but i only found one engine on ebay none any were on cragslist...even did a google search and only found engines on here but they were sold.....im looking for a complete engine...any other sugestions on a common engine that is farley in expensive around 1,500 for engne and trans.......any fellow datsun owners know someone with a extra engine laying around