i need someone to confirm my suspicions...

Raggleflaggle

i have a 77 B210 with an A14, and my it recently started having fuel problems.(not enough fuel reaching carb)
bought a used fuel pump, no change. bought a new fuel pump. no change. pressure tested fuel line, no holes.
started tearing stuff down, found my intake was gunky with solidified unburnt fuel buildup.
while doing routine checks and whatnot,(two weeks or so ago) i checked compression, all 4 read fine.

put is mostly back together and i find that cyl. 1 is playing dead, but a compression check says it's all fine.
my theory is that the cams are not opening #1's valves, which if i'm not mistaken also power the fuel pump?

are my cams boned? anybody else had this problem?

ps, sorry for no pics, i know you'll ask for them, i don't have my camera ATM or anytime soon...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First stop replacing stuff randomly.

You should include the symtoms like how does the car act. Does it cut out climbing hills? Or after hard acceleration? 

Replace the fuel filter. If you don't know the history of this car then you don't know when it was replaced last. Should be every two years but once a year is good insurance. A clogged filter will reduce pump output.

Pull the line from the puel pump and put a hose on the end. Direct this into a bucket and crank it over. You should see gushes of fuel from the pump as it cranks.

If the cam was wiped, you wouldn't have even compression.

If you have one carb feeding four cylinders, and one doesn't run, the most likely fuel problem would be a vacuum leak, at that cylinder.

Check the wire with a ohmmeter. Check the plug. Change the fuel filter. 

• Like 1

Ohmmeter is best, but you can also hook your timing light up to each wire and point it at a dark surface to see if it reads spark through the wire.  Or, pull the plug, put the plug back into the wire, ground the plug, and crank the engine over with the key.  The plug should spark.

sorry, i have left may details out of my desripction. air filter is decent, not perfect, but the best one i have. fuel filter i've recently replced, about two months ago. pulled it off today and it has no blockage or anything.

If the cam was wiped, you wouldn't have even compression.

If you have one carb feeding four cylinders, and one doesn't run, the most likely fuel problem would be a vacuum leak, at that cylinder.

Check the wire with a ohmmeter. Check the plug. Change the fuel filter. 

what if the valves are all closed? why would it not hold compression?

Why do you think #1 not working? What test did you use?

if you pull #1's spark plug off at the distributor end, there is no difference in the idle.

Hot wire fuel pump to be on all the time when cars on

A series use a mechanical fuel pump.

DO THIS...

ONE Pull #1 plug and stick in the plug wire end. Lay it on the block or any grounded surface. Crank motor. Is there spark

YES... everything appears normal.

NO...... find out why?????

TWO Take valve cover off. Crank motor and look at #1 valve springs. Are they both moving evenly?????

NO..... look at the push rods. Has one or both fallen off the rocker(s)???? Broken rocker arm?????????

• Like 1

A series use a mechanical fuel pump.

DO THIS...

ONE Pull #1 plug and stick in the plug wire end. Lay it on the block or any grounded surface. Crank motor. Is there spark

NO...... find out why?????

TWO Take valve cover off. Crank motor and look at #1 valve springs. Are they both moving evenly?????

NO..... look at the push rods. Has one or both fallen off the rocker(s)???? Broken rocker arm?????????

so my theory is disproven. the valve springs articulate fine...

I don't remember, did you test fuel pressure?

Pull the fuel line after the pump and put it in a bottle to see how well it comes out.  Or, better yet, put a fuel pressure gauge on it....

it started with a fuel issue. this is why everybody i know keeps telling me that an electric fuel pump is what i need. what i really need is to find the problem, because there no way the cars came off the line only capable of starting when the fuel is in the righthand side of the tank..

So lets start over:

What were ALL your initial symptons?

Now, you tested for spark, right?  You have spark on all cylinders?

You watched the valves move up and down?  Did you set the vavles?

Did you test to see if fuel was pumping out the hose after the fuel pump?

You shouldn't need an electirc fuel pump. A mechanical pump should work just fine.  You just need to find the cause of the issue.

So lets start over:

What were ALL your initial symptons?

Now, you tested for spark, right?  You have spark on all cylinders?

You watched the valves move up and down?  Did you set the vavles?

Did you test to see if fuel was pumping out the hose after the fuel pump?

You shouldn't need an electirc fuel pump. A mechanical pump should work just fine.

let's see, dirty air intake, car would only start if parked at a certain angle, and no change in idle fif the #1 plug is detached at the dizzzy while running. spark on all cylinders. i haven't checked or set valve lash. and no, fuel doesn't pump where it's at because it's parked wrong,

It only pumps when the car is at an angle?  What happens if you fill up the fuel tank?  Is your fuel gauge wrong?

What angle?  Nose of the car pointing down, or nose of car pointing up?

That's the key to your problem.

Has the car spent any just sitting in the past.... Like did it sit for 5, 10, 20 years, and then it was resurrected?

Either your not getting fuel sucked up into the fuel line, or your pump isn't pulling it from the tank.

If you have a full tank, then there is an issue with the pump... or the fuel pump eccentric.

i have a 77 B210 with an A14, and my it recently started having fuel problems.(not enough fuel reaching carb)

bought a used fuel pump, no change. bought a new fuel pump. no change. pressure tested fuel line, no holes.

started tearing stuff down, found my intake was gunky with solidified unburnt fuel buildup.

while doing routine checks and whatnot,(two weeks or so ago) i checked compression, all 4 read fine.

put is mostly back together and i find that cyl. 1 is playing dead, but a compression check says it's all fine.

my theory is that the cams are not opening #1's valves, which if i'm not mistaken also power the fuel pump?

are my cams boned? anybody else had this problem?

ps, sorry for no pics, i know you'll ask for them, i don't have my camera ATM or anytime soon...

A lot of assumptions here.

FUEL...

Pull hose off the carb side of the pump as suggested and direct into a pail. Gas shoots out in spurts when cranked?

YES.... Fuel delivery from pump at least seem fine.

No...... Take inlet side off and supply pump with gas sucked from a bottle. Does pump squirt fuel now???

Yes..... Fuel line clogged or tank empty.

NO..... Fuel pump not working

CAM

You checked and the valves seem to be operating normally but there also has to be proper valve clearance so they can close properly.

Spark Plug

Did you check that the plug is gaped? A piece of dirt or carbon could have bridged the electrode. The plug may be damaged, swap with #2 and see if the problem moves to #2.

let's see, dirty air intake, car would only start if parked at a certain angle, and no change in idle fif the #1 plug is detached at the dizzzy while running. spark on all cylinders. i haven't checked or set valve lash. and no, fuel doesn't pump where it's at because it's parked wrong,

Well this is a symptom. Car has to be at an angle to start?????? Fuel doesn' pump if at an angle????? There's your problem.