the Industrial Supplies Surprise! (for your Datsun) Thread

Industrial Supplies Surprise!

Those of you who don't know me.

I am in Industrial Sales. I sell to Factories, Dealerships, Food Plants, Manufacturers, etc, etc.

I am starting a thread on a topic that could be added to constantly. Industrial alternatives!

Seeing alot of different things being made all different sorts of ways with different brands and products being used (Including competitors) I would like to think that I know my shit when it comes to Stretch wrap, foams, Tapes, Glues, Abrasives, Safety stuff etc.

I know of some products that have saved me alot of time and money and that is they were the correct thing for the job or as I prefer to say INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH or INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY products.

The reason I am starting this thread is because I keep helping my friends or see on here people that in my opinion paid too much. In that if you walk in to a auto parts store and ask for the headlight lens restore kit you paid too much. Or the body shop supply and asked for some automotive masking tape you paid too much.

I am a cheap bastard I guess. Now if you work at a good place like a body shop and maybe you pay at cost or you pay nothing, ignore this thread. Except I betcha, as I meet people daily who are like I've never seen a product like this...so here's the topics I wanna talk about to start.

Duct Tape

Bonded Abraisives

Sanding Belts

Masking tape

Sandpaper

Glues

I'm sure there is more...feel free to chime in.

Radio

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welders are a big type of customer for me. Up here there is lots of Walter, Norton, Sait, Klingspor. These are great conventional products. The brand names are good, but I feel for Abraisives these slackers are not pushing the envelope. 

I sell Klingspor, VSM, PFERD, and 3M. Any welders here know where i'm going with this?

3M has a product called the Cubitron 2. It is exceptional. It is expensive, but overall usage, speed, it is #1.

3m-982c-cubitron-2-fibre-discs-115mm-p36

VSM has been around for 140 years, they are a little guy that makes sandpaper in Germany. They supply sandpaper to every tom dick and hairy. They have a product called XK760 and XF870. They are both very close to Cubitron 2, difference in pricing is 33 to 66% less.

discs_02.jpg

VSM owns a company supplies a guy called PFERD. PFERD is like a mad scientist that makes things like the CC Grind, and the Curve Flap.

Unknown-2.jpeg

CC_GRIND_SOLID_180_SG_STEEL_KOMBI.jpg

Radio

• Like 2

The discs are called fibre discs they are 1-3$ each and you use a rubber or plastic backup pad. The only thing they don't do it grind on the side. But that's what a 1/4" and a curve flap is for. The CC grind is quite curved too. Like I say in your job where you weld ask for them if you don't have any. These VSM and ones are different because they are ceramic material. They are not aluminum oxide or aluminum zirconia fibre discs that's something totally different that people think oh yeah I've tried that didn't work worth a shit.

The 3M comes in 3 grits 36+, 60+, 80+.

The VSM comes in 24, 36, 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 120.

• Like 1

The Pumper!

PUMPER_lineup20.gif

(I'm sure other brands of paint markers would work too)

The Pumper paint markers work great for touching up your freshly painted black engine bay...when dropping in a engine and say you made some chips.

Also great for outlining tailgate letters or valve covers!

Radio

• Like 1

http://3mcollision.com/mar-hyde-tal-strip-ii-aircraft-coating-remover-aerosol-3712-1-quart-us-6-per-case.html

This is an awesome thread, Radio!!.

I used to get a Mar-Hyde product called Tal-Strip, Apparently 3M bought them and it has now been discontinued.

Do you know an alternative that is similar quality? The stuff worked amazing!.

I am a Distributor for a Company that Sells in BC, AB, and SK. This thread isn't for me to sell to you, its to give you guys ideas of what to ask for with who you deal with.

I can tell you that 3M for example has two divisions. Automotive and Industrial. I know if you go to a body shop supply they have a different cost than I do. 

I recommend making a relationship with a local or small or one-off shop. They treat customers better than a Fastenal would or Acklands. They also will appreciate your business more and answer questions. I don't work for a small company by any means, but its not Fastenal and its not Acklands they overcharge. Look for "Jerry's Automotive supply" or "Billy bob's Woodworking" thats the type of place you want, and you can ask for a cash acct or a charge acct, and insure that you are getting Jobber pricing. Once that is the case, for everything you want to buy they can see what you bought before under your name (even if its not a charge acct) And because it keeps track of what you all buy you establish a rating. The higher rating the lower they quote you when you ask.

I also heard...that Amazon is excellent price and stock wise. THey suck to ship into Canada, but I know in the states they are killing AG and Fastenal.

Radio

Who have you found to be the best supplier of these products?  I know that some things 'industrial' need an account. 

i can say that her prefrd brand of grinding wheels is bar none the best ive used I own my own rod shop here in washington for a number of years and these flap discs and there cutoff wheels out last the norton or dewalt brands you find at the local home depot. i found good pricing on them through amazon before i made a acct with my local supplier. there a little more money each but out last my 2 fold easy,

i can say that her prefrd brand of grinding wheels is bar none the best ive used I own my own rod shop here in washington for a number of years and these flap discs and there cutoff wheels out last the norton or dewalt brands you find at the local home depot. i found good pricing on them through amazon before i made a acct with my local supplier. there a little more money each but out last my 2 fold easy,

You are correct. The reason is the PFERD flaps use VSM material. VSM has more actual abrasive on the sandpaper to begin with. The other thing is Dewalt, Water, Norton that is normally found or sold is made out of a dark red material called Aluminum Oxide. PFERD and VSM start with a a better Material blue in colour called Aluminum Zirconia. It is harder but lasts 2x as long. Plain and simple better ingredients. 

Try out a Ceramic product next pal, its 7-10x life of AO.

Radio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...