Defeating CA SMOG, do's, don'ts, ways and means

I'm pretty sure that a newer engine in an older body qualifies for smog checks. Even if you call it an older body on a Miata 'frame' the 'frame' makes it a Miata.

Hi Mike,

Actually, I did research that part to completion.  The DMV does not care about huge modifications to the suspension, frame, or body as long as the vehicle is still recognizable as what it was originally.  So Bob's mods (besides the engine) would be completely legitimate in CA for street use (though obviously that is not why he built his 411 "Misinformation" or his MX520.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

(2nd and 3rd paragraph)

Bob, I'm not sure why you chose to share my build specifics publicly on this thread, but I've nothing to hide.

Ratsun: Yep.  Bob has shown you exactly what I've been planning for a very long time.  I didn't figure this was the spot for it, but what the heck.  Should I start a different thread on it?

Moderators: Would you like to move my build specifics to a different thread, including Bob's PM, so this thread stays completely about the completely vague CA Smog laws?

How about the title "Miata subframes under pre-smog Datsun bodies" or something like that?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Bob's mods (besides the engine) would be completely legitimate in CA for street use (though obviously that is not why he built his 411 "Misinformation" or his MX520.

I don't think what Bob built would qualify as a "specially constructed vehicle" in California - but let's pretend for a moment is does.

The web page YOU provided a link to clearly states you will need: "An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station." ... it's the third one from the bottom.  Like Mike is saying; they will see what engine you're using, and see if you included everything that is suppose to go with it.

I know, you don't want to hear that - therefore - you're not finished yet :w00t:

Hi Mike,

Actually, I did research that part to completion.  The DMV does not care about huge modifications to the suspension, frame, or body as long as the vehicle is still recognizable as what it was originally.

Yes but only if the original motor is kept. If you swap a Miata under a '68 510 'body'... it's a motor swap, and I imagine subjust to applicable smog checks for the year of Miata used.

The 'vague' (your term) California emissions laws can be broken, or ignored and you might get away with it but you sure as hell are not defeating it. It's called evading, and pleading ignorance of the law does not excuse you in the eyes of the law.

The way I have always understood it to to be, is 1975 is pre smog. That means you can do whatever you want to the car, and not have to have it smogged, and have a simple light inspection test. You can put in whatever engine, equipment, and modifications as long as the power to weight ratio is within legal limits. A pre smog car is a construction project and they know this. My 68 Torino will have an 89 302 in it soon, which I'd take off all smog components because it no longer goes under the guidelines of smog. If I put a 1968 460 in my bronco, then you would have to run under the emissions of the 1968 year in a 1989 smog body.

Oh how did this spin out of control?

K_trip: you didn't read paragraphs two and three.  They say that the modifications would not require calling it a "Specially constructed vehicle."

Mike: 

"Yes but only if the original motor is kept."

You are correct.  I don't want a Miata engine.  I'd put a Datsun/Nissan engine in it, use less of the Miata than Bob did, and except looking very closely, it would be a Datsun.

But, for a 1967 or older model year foreign car (I previously linked a page of the law), or 1967 or 1965 US vehicle (forgot the reason for the two different rules), the car is completely smog exempt.  My understanding is that any US-legal engine with gobs of custom fabrication, is completely allowed.  I am not sure whether that allows an engine never legal in the USA (RB series, SR20DET, CA18DET are examples) to be used.

For a 520 truck, the frame could be modified just sufficiently to weld in Miata subframes.  The engine, transmission, body, bed, interior - can all be left completely stock.  The only custom part would be a driveshaft, and additional cage reinforcement.  Yet body modifications are also allowed as long as the police can readily identify it as what it was built as.

The way I have always understood it to to be, is 1975 is pre smog. That means you can do whatever you want to the car, and not have to have it smogged, and have a simple light inspection test. You can put in whatever engine, equipment, and modifications as long as the power to weight ratio is within legal limits. A pre smog car is a construction project and they know this. My 68 Torino will have an 89 302 in it soon, which I'd take off all smog components because it no longer goes under the guidelines of smog. If I put a 1968 460 in my bronco, then you would have to run under the emissions of the 1968 year in a 1989 smog body.

Well good luck. If you put a '76 or newer motor in it, it's is subject to emissions testing for the year of the motor. If you have a pre '75 and put an older 327 in it that might pass. I'll admit I not sure on this: but you may not be able to put a pre '75 engine in a post '75 vehicle. I think it has to be the same year or newer and then of course it would be tested by the newer year emissions.

How did this spin out of control ? start with page one first post.Seriously though im confused as to what you are really asking.Buy a pre 1975 or whatever years dont get a smog inspection and put what you want in it.There are hundreds if not thousands of us driving our non smog legal cars with no issues.I hope this helps you out .Im in California and have no problems with smog checks.You should ask for help on this topic on the 510Realm website.

• Like 1

Well let the shit fly 

if your going to PM someone a novel you should expect them to share it 

if you don't want it shared don't write the novel 

I think you should set up an appointment with your local Ca referee and ask him all the questions you want that way you will know for sure 

then if you dont like his answers set up another appointment and speak with another referee and I am sure you will get a different answer 

just the same as you will from multiple people at DMV they are government paid and will never all give you the same answer 

then if your still not satisfied look up smog laws in other states till you find one that suits your needs then move there 

I think this thread has enough information in it and will soon turn into a pissing contest 

IBTL

• Like 2

Well let the shit fly 

if your going to PM someone a novel you should expect them to share it 

if you don't want it shared don't write the novel 

I think you should set up an appointment with your local Ca referee and ask him all the questions you want that way you will know for sure 

then if you dont like his answers set up another appointment and speak with another referee and I am sure you will get a different answer 

just the same as you will from multiple people at DMV they are government paid and will never all give you the same answer 

then if your still not satisfied look up smog laws in other states till you find one that suits your needs then move there

The post in question has been removed. There is at least some expectation of privacy when using a PRIVATE message. Else why not just say what you have to say on a PUBLIC forum? Posting a private message between two people without the other's consent isn't illegal and I don't think we have a rule against it but it's at the least not a good idea. Others will tend to be less confidential with you if they fear a P/M you sent them will be posted.

I think this subject got of on the wrong foot and has been confused ever since. Lets just close it before worse happens. No harm no foul.

• Like 8