R-180 IRS swap into b310??????

I have heard the IRS from the 240z can swap into the 510 and possibly the 210's. Has anyone attemped or successfully done this swap? any information would be awesome! I ask because i have a 240z thats completely rusted body, but i wanna strengthen the rear end of my 210. I would like to know the procces of this swap, are their any mods necessary. I have everything on the 240z so i think im good in that aspect. Thanks guys!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well its a 1981 b310 a14. I understand the h150 is a solid rear axle, but wouldn't it be possible to use the CV axles and diff into the the rear hubs? because its the same 4 lug pattern. or would a complete rear subframe swap be easier?? i'm just interested and would like to gather as much info as possible. Because the 510 and the 210 have pretty similiar chassis.  Th r-160 and r-180 are listed in the Datsun1200.com wiki for rear diff and axle swaps as a possibility but further info is missing. thanks amigos

I understand the h150 is a solid rear axle, but wouldn't it be possible to use the CV axles and diff into the the rear hubs?

No.  This isn't remotely possible.  If it were already IRS, yes, but that's not how solid axles work.  There's no rear "hub" that the axles bolt to.  The wheels bolt to the axle flange, which is integral to the axle.

B310s don't HAVE a rear subframe.  They have 4-link suspension. To put IRS in a B310, you remove the entire rear axle. You then take an entire 510 (or 240Z) rear end assembly, jack it up into place, then figure out where you're going to weld mounts into the B310 as well as how you're going to reinforce the floor to mount the differential since none of the necessary bracketry exists in the B310 and what is where the brackets go, is thin sheet metal. 

B310 and PL510 chassis are nothing alike.  Sure, the 1200 page lists them as possibilities, but it's nowhere near a bolt-in solution.  It's a major undertaking.

thanks, interesting to know, by reinforcing the frame to fit the brackets shouldn't be too extreme just a good common understanding of what you need to do. It would be interesting to know if anyone out their has done any swaps similiar but not necesarily the same (240z). Chime in everyone and post pics of your setup.

Get the rear axle out of the '80-'81 S110. It's H-165 and a nice little up grade. If really going for strength the '82-'83 S110 is an H-190. Truck 4.11, 4.375 and 4.265 can be swapped into it. Both have rear disc brakes. IRS is ok but it also has it's bad points, like camber and toe in changes on acceleration/deceleration. Look up trailing throttle steer. By the time you stiffen the rear suspension springs and add a sway bar you might as well have a solid axle. .

• Like 2

jack up both cars and look at both suspension set ups  

they are completely different this swap is not for the weak at heart it is a serious undertaking 

if you look at both you might decide to sell the 240 parts and buy the parts that will work without as much expense and effort

• Like 1

It's beyond nice. But also an insane amount of work, planning, skills, welding and I think you loose the rear seat. It's isn't an R-180 but does show some of the things that need to be addressed to make it work.

Again I have to ask on this post is it needed or worth it for a little A14?

• Like 1

which vehicles came with s110 chassis your talking about mike?..  Nice man thanks for that amazing link heretic, thats soo badass. I guess its not really worth the money and effort for an A-series. I guess i would be looking for something a little stronger with rear discs. I just want a strong diff to last awhile under heavy load of a boosted a-series. thanks guys.

lultz.

The S110 is the second generation 200sx between the first gen S10 '77-'79 and the third gen S12 '84-'88.

The '80-'81 S110 had an H-165 solid axle with rear disc brakes. The '82-'83 S110 had a larger displacement motor and a correspondingly larger H-190 solid axle with rear disc brakes. Both had similar 4 link and coil suspension.

• Like 1