New owner Datsun 620 converted stake bed

JoeDusty

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I recently picked up this Datsun 620 stake bed that was converted from a camper. It's got some issues with rust on the hood and doors and it has a leaky brake cylinder and oil leak from somewhere lol....but it runs pretty nice for my purposes (yard sales). I do have a couple questions if someone wouldn't mind helping with....there is a air pump on the side that I read is for emissions...do I need this thing installed or can I just pull it out....I'm not an auto mechanic, just wondering if I can pull it out and still run without it. Also the carb is in need of adjustment...there is a piece of string holding the throttle spring back and it's all jury rigged...so I'm wondering what carbs I could have installed that might make it run a little snappier and won't cast me a grand to purchase. Also, are there any new napa store bought distributors and electronic ignition I could bolt in that would replace the stock ones?

Sorry for all the noob questions, I was an aircraft mechanic for 20 years but this is a different beast.

I will try to get pics up soon as I figure out how to post them lol

Thanks for any help

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

plus 1 for buying a new weber 32/36, DGEV, to be more specific.

the E stands for electric choke.

a lot of us run the 32/36 and it is a good everyday carb.

it beats the heck out of trying to tune/mess with an old (unknown mileage) carb