What kind of Carburetor can I get?

IrvinM

Hello Rasun friends, I have a problem today. I bought a carburetor kit to fix my truck's carburetor but just today I found out that this is the wrong kit. I think a 1972 - 1974 carburetor kit will work. I have a 1975 Datsun 620. Also, my carburetor has bad threads in a lot of places, making me think that it would be better to purchase a new one. I want to stick with the Hitachis since I've heard these are more fuel friendly. I would like to know what kind of carburetor should I get? I would like to get a used one but there aren't many out there. Would a chevy carb fit my 620? A new one is close to $200 but is it worth it in order to have a stock carburetor?

I would like to spend the least possible and since for now I just want to have it running.

Also, there are two carburetor kits that fit my truck from '72-'74 but I don't know which one to get. I bought the one for a '75 but the gasket between the "feet" of the carb and the "body" is different.

20130809_170251.jpg

This is part of my carburetor:

20130809_170310.jpg

And this is the rest of it:

20130809_170350.jpg

If anybody can help me out I would really appreciate it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been doing some research and the two different kits available are the 96-274 and the 96-275, both from Autozone. The 96-274 fits carburetor DAF326 and DAH328. The 96-275 fits carburetor DCH340. I have looked at a couple of images online and I think I have the Hitachi DCH340 Carburetor. What do you guys think?

Are there any numbers still visible on the body of the carburetor? They will be very hard to see after all these years but sometime you can get lucky.  Weber would be your best bet but will most likely be above the 200.00 range you mentioned.  You could post an ad in the classifieds under WTB.

FWIW, I just put a weber on my 1200 and I am lovin it

California '75 620 should be a DCH 340-45a for manual trans.

'75 is the first year L20B so earlier kits are for the L16 and L18.

Repair kits are way cheaper than replacing them.

I did buy from Autozone one of their repair kits but when I was ready to rebuild it I looked at a gasket and saw this difference:

20130809_200030.jpg

I went back to Autozone and checked their older truck's carb kits. These had the gasket to the right (my old gasket). The gasket to the left is the new gasket I bought, which I can't use. So one question remained: Do I have a carburetor for a 1972, 73, or 74 620? My truck is a 1975 but it already had this carburetor installed in it when I bought it.

I think I have an older mode of a DCH340, since a 1973 and 74 620 use the 96-275 carb kit from Autozone. This carb kit (96-275) is compatible with "DCH340". So I am thinking I have a pre-1975 carburetor in my 1975.

Also, some person from CraigsList wants to sell me a rebuilt carburetor out of a 1974 Datsun truck for $100. I think I might just go that way. I would still like to know what other possible solutions I might have and if possible know what kind of carburetor I have. I'll put it on my blog to help future people with the same problem.

You need an L20B carb at the least.

A GM or some generic carb just won't fit. It has to be able to be bolted on and it should be jetted for a similar size engine. Don't buy someone else's piece of shit (sorry Datsunrider no offense) Go to classifieds and ask for a '75-'80 L20B carb. It will at least bolt on. Pay $25 for it and $25 for a rebuild kit and away you go.

You need an L20B carb at the least.

A GM or some generic carb just won't fit. It has to be able to be bolted on and it should be jetted for a similar size engine. Don't buy someone else's piece of shit (sorry Datsunrider no offense) Go to classifieds and ask for a '75-'80 L20B carb. It will at least bolt on. Pay $25 for it and $25 for a rebuild kit and away you go.

it's fine DM I'm just trying to share the help around and yeah bro my carb sucks that's why I took it off

Hitachi's are very complex with lots and lots of parts. Every year had different emission requirements in addition to the regular California and high altitude models. The 510 had at least 15 Hitachi's on an L16 motor. The 620 had three motors! More to go wrong but they work the best for fit/mileage/performance/emissions.

• Like 1

Hitachi's are very complex with lots and lots of parts. Every year had different emission requirements in addition to the regular California and high altitude models. The 510 had at least 15 Hitachi's on an L16 motor. The 620 had three motors! More to go wrong but they work the best for fit/mileage/performance/emissions.

Wow that's crazy bro

This is good info. I have been thinking we need to make a thread with pictures and stuff for people like me in the future to be able to identify what they have rigged in their Datsuns. Here is a thread I found on Ratsun forums:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/6754-carburetor-identification-pictures-included/

This has a good comparison of two carbs and also some good info on the intake manifold. I did found a carb for a 510 before at the junkyard but silly me thought it was useless to me. I scavenged its jets and other parts and left it to rotten out in the open. Today I regret it.

I want to make it easier for people to identify their carburetors so they know what they are using and what kind of performance they are expecting from this particular carb if it does bolt on.