Short shifter

Dean720Ada

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Replacing the worn bushings can help sometimes. You cannot easily shorten the pattern. This requires the fulcrum point be raised.

You can cut the shifter, which effectively does the same thing but there is nothing more retarded than having to lean forward to reach 3 and 5th gears. Shortening the shifter also decreases the mechanical advantage of the shift lever length. Shifting will take slightly more effort.

Nope, this is easy.

You just need to lengthen the throw below the pivot point to shorten it above. 

Basically, if you raise the pivot height by cutting the tabs off the transmission where the shifter bolts in, and make new ones that sit about an inch higher, then shorten the shifter BELOW the pivot point the same amount, you effectively shorten the throw by about the same amount that you lengthen the shifter.

Longer throw below the pivot point = shorter throw above it. 

Nope, this is easy.

You just need to lengthen the throw below the pivot point to shorten it above. 

Basically, if you raise the pivot height by cutting the tabs off the transmission where the shifter bolts in, and make new ones that sit about an inch higher, then shorten the shifter BELOW the pivot point the same amount, you effectively shorten the throw by about the same amount that you lengthen the shifter.

Longer throw below the pivot point = shorter throw above it. 

MM I know you meant lengthen...

Monkey, I don't see how that's "Easy".  Requires welding new ears and machining a new shifter with an altered pivot point.  Some folk's "machine" tools consist of nothing more than a hand drill and a drill index with half the bits missing.

Easiest thing is to just grab a late 280ZX shifter at the junkyard.  Not really a shorter throw, but the shifter will be shorter, so the distance the knob moves is smaller...  I ran one in my 620 with the 280ZX trans, since the 620 shifter didn't fit the different ears.

• Like 1

Something like this ,, BUT you will most likely need to grind your trans/shifter mount ears for it to fit... but that i'm not positive on.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC02A/20-1050

My son has one on his trans and it shifts really tight ( 2- 2 1/2" ) but since it has lost some mechanical advantage it is sometimes harder to shift for people that don`t drive the car often.

Check out Jacobs goon build ,,, he made one hisself and i saw it in person and it shifter pretty good,, and the fact he built it,,  not bought it , made it even better.

(edit) went and got link ,, the shifter is quite a few pages in but this build is the way they should be built with love and ingenuity , so if you haven`t read it you should..

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/24895-jacobs-goon-build-now-l19-powered/

I swapped the 720 diesel tailstock onto my zx 5 speed to get the taller 'ears'. Then used a later 720 shifter with the longer  shaft and ball on the end.

This...

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

to this...

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

And the shifter on the left...

5speedfor710goon005Large.jpg