Coast to coast road trip in a 510 barn find

Randalla

I recently bought a 1972 Datsun 510 that's been off the road since 1997 and has just over 49,000 original miles. The car is bone stock and is in great shape as it was undercoated and kept in dry storage, even though that was in Pennsylvania. My plan is to drive the car back to Phoenix in mid-September with a friend from Detroit (we'll both be flying into Philly). The really cool part of this is that I decided to make it a live road trip which will be hosted on NICO's website. I'll be posting pictures and updates from the road each day and encouraging the Datsun faithful to hook up with us, grab a bite to eat, put us up (if so inclined) or just run a section of the route with us. The trip will culminate with the car being shown at JCCS in Long Beach, CA at the end of September. The link on NICO's site is:   

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/ultimate-road-trip-coast-to-coast-in-a-datsun-510.html

We're also on Face Book. You can correspond with me directly on my email, set up for the trip     510roadtrip@gmail.com  Pictures of the car are on the NICO website.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like a good find.. Normally Datto's usually go from West to East. I'm just trying to figure out if you are interested in joining the forum or just trying to find sponsors. It's a creative idea.. Good luck.

I am a member of the site and no, sponsors would be great but I'm contacting potential corporate sponsors separately by e-mail and phone. Yeah, kind of crazy for a guy from AZ to buy a car from back east. The car actually kind of found me. Couldn't pass up a low mileage original 510.

What`s with the dual mirrors ??

And i will favorite that link but you have to promise to post up lots of pictures .. Good luck i do love a fun adventure,, i'm just sorry i don`t live anywhere near your travel route ,, i would surely love to roll with you guys for a day as you passed through.

Have some marginal shots but nothing worthy of posting yet. The interior is red vinyl (in excellent shape), auto trans on the floor, perfect dash and dash top and the plastic from the factory is still on the rear door panels and visors. Don't think anyone ever sat in the back seat.

Hi Randy,

This sounds like a great trip. Lots to see across this country. If you modify your course and head south towards Washington, DC, I could coordinate a 510 meet with 6-10 local 510 owners to meet up and grab a meal or do a cruise or something. 

I made the trip in a 510 from  Seattle, Washington to Washington, DC in July, 2007.

3100 miles in 4 1/2 days. My 13 year old Son was with me. I did all the driving.

Fun trip but should have had more time to enjoy the sites.

I will be following this. Let me know ASAP if you can make it to DC area.

David

Wish we had the time to zig zag home to Phoenix, however a week is all I could spare for this trip so unfortunately DC is probably out of the picture. Last week I connected with a guy in a 1600 Roadster who is on a four month road trip circumnavigating the US (25,000 miles) through rural America. That's what I would die to be able to do, but it won't happen this time. I'd be interested to hear if you had the original 1600 motor, auto or manual trans and what your average speed and fuel economy was (if you remember). Thanks for the post.

Wish we had the time to zig zag home to Phoenix, however a week is all I could spare for this trip so unfortunately DC is probably out of the picture. Last week I connected with a guy in a 1600 Roadster who is on a four month road trip circumnavigating the US (25,000 miles) through rural America. That's what I would die to be able to do, but it won't happen this time. I'd be interested to hear if you had the original 1600 motor, auto or manual trans and what your average speed and fuel economy was (if you remember). Thanks for the post.

Randy,

Sorry to hear you won't have the time. I know what that feels like as I had to be back to celebrate the fourth of July with my Family so 4 1/2 days is all I had. 

The 510 I drove was powered by an L20B with SU's and a dogleg 5 speed. We traveled 3100 miles on the trip. I got around 26-27 mpg for the trip and on the open hwy, I mostly traveled around 70-75 mph.

We took the northern route (tried to beat the heat but in July it is still hot) following US intestate 90 across Washington, through Idaho and Montana and into Wyoming and to Mount Rushmore.Then an excursion down through Nebraska to stop and see Carhenge. Then back to interstate 90 across the rest of the way until we had to head south. 13 states in all.  

There is a write up I did in the back issues of the Dime Quarterly about going Cross Country in a 510.

Here is a Link. (Pg. 17 has the write up)

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1/edit?pli=1&docId=0ByCvxnHNk90SZjE1NWIxNjctYzYzYi00OTczLWIyNmUtNDQ4M2ZjMDM3ZTM0

We went to the local walmart and bought a cooler and snacks and drinks and a gas can. I had shipped out a big box of tools and spare parts to have with me. Never needed them. The only issue I has was the car started sputtering and it was a bad distributor cap. Local autozone in Madison, Wisconsin had it in stock.Replaced the cap and rotor and it was good to go. 

Can't wait to follow this. 

I know you must be getting excited.

David, nice to communicate with someone that's done something similar. With the standard 1600 and an automatic in my car, I won't be traveling near as quickly as you and probably won't get the same MPG. Yeah, I'm really geeked about the trip. Friends think I'm crazy to attempt the trip since the car has been off the road so long. I've had a mechanic go though it but you can't see everything and some things may work great now but give up once I get going. I'm taking a new water pump, alternator and distributor as well as a full tool bag. A small issue that doesn't kill the trip will just add to the story. Thanks for the link to your trip. It just serves to get me even more jazzed about getting mine underway.

I had a stock 1970 2 door with automatic trans. I drove it for 3 years. I could get 20-23 mpg and could cruise on the hwy w/o it being too buzzy at 60-65 mph. Pulling steep hills with it was not much fun. 

Add to your list: a fan belt, fuses, electrical and duct tape, a wire coat hanger along with some extra wire long enough to bypass a circuit for lights or starter to dash, etc. A 12v test light too. And a can of fix a flat can save you lots of time on the side of the road. A roll of waterproof plumbing tape for a hose that could blow out..

One thing I did daily before starting out was to check all fluid levels and check the tire pressure and made sure all the lights and the horn were working. It was a nice morning ritual to do while my teenage son was trying to get going in the hotel rooms. 

I wish I could do this trip again soon, Maybe when I get my two door wagon on the road, I can drive it out to Canby or JCCS one year, 

Keep the updates coming. 

David, great adds for my tool kit. A buddy of mine gave me a list of all the tools he thought I might need. He's had a ton of 510's so he is a good source. Your adds were not on the list but they are now. He claimed his list would allow me to take care of just about anything short of a major rebuild. His list is below:

crescent wrench, channel locks, needle nose pliers, vise grip, dykes (angled cutter), screwdriver with changeable tips, #3 phillips, razor blade, socket wrench, 2 inch extension, 6 inch extension, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm regular sockets, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm deep well sockets, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm box wrenches, zip ties, duct tape,

tool bag

Kazoo, MI. If your name is Dave, you may be the guy, lol. I'm an ex Michigander as well.

We'll be tracking every gallon of gas used and calculating fuel economy from coast to coast. The car is completely stock as far as powertrain, with an automatic on the floor, 1600 motor with factory carburetor and a fresh tune up. We'll be taking freeways for almost the entire trip and I'd guess we will be traveling 65mph most of the time. We'll have two passengers and maybe 80-100 lbs of gear. So...what would you guess our average fuel economy will be for the trip??? I'll think of something creative for the one who guesses closest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give this thread a bump.  Randy is on his way now, been on the road since last Thursday.  I just talked to him this morning.  Everything is going pretty good so far, only minor things along the way.  I think he's having a blast!

I think he is going to make it to Oklahoma City tonight.  There are some recent updates, see links..

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Dale - AZ