1976 Datsun King Cab (Deluxe) Door Guard/Molding Body Question

L.KAT

Hello!!! I am new here- Would love some input regarding a 1976 620 KC [Deluxe] that I'm on the verge of buying....

Body's straight, Engine's straight- My question is regarding what I believe are called door guards/molding - the metal strip with rubber center running the length of the body- see pics below. I really don't like these and am wondering if anyone has experience removing them/any advice for removing them. Would it be a total nightmare to do so? (I am planning on a new paint job eventually) I imagine there are holes in the body beneath them to fasten them to the body but am not sure. Thank you for any input!! B)

Also, anyone know the difference between 620 KC and 620 KC Deluxe? Or is deluxe what they called the KC pre 77?

datsun3_zps74ed2b27.jpgdatsun2_zpsf556ee39.jpgdatsun1_zpsd9c41d73.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea,I have the same molding on my 79 KC and yes the body molding frame is actually rivited to the body.  just remove trim and drill out rivits.  The "deluxe" from what assume is called because of an interior package and like your front bumperette on front bumper.  Those were not an item that would come in a standard pick up.  Like maybe you have air? Cloth seats etc.  You get the picture.

• Like 1

Look behind the front wheel well openings.  If you see a pop rivet, they are aftermarket units and you will have rivets to remove and holes to weld and finish.  If there are no pop rivets showing you may have factory installed molding.  I don't know how your model attaches the moldings but typically there are studs welded to the fender and body and the molding is attached by clips under the rubber.

• Like 1

awesome, thank you!!!  anyone have pics of how bad it looks under there after these are off?

I'm pretty sure they are factory as everything on the truck is original. Was it a total pain in the ass to weld those rivet/screw holes shut? How much (ballpark) do you think it would run to have a shop do the necessary welding?  

Just trying to determine if it will be worth it to remove these- I really hate the look of em! lol ;P

awesome! Thank you for the pic!! it really helps w the decision. did you fill yours with lead/weld yourself and then sand down/paint over?  Any idea how much a shop would charge to plug those rivet holes up? thanks!

Yes,looking at my truck, I think I counted 6 rivits on the back  and probbally 2 on each door and fender so figure on probbally a good dozen or so.  To get a better deal at the body shop maybe you could suggest thet fill in thye seams in  the fenders and bed also and then the price doesn't seem so much when your getting alot done.  Just a suggestion.  After my re-build I having all that small stuff done also.

• Like 1