VW Bug with Subaru STi engine

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

since when and how are boxer engines the shit?

I mean they are shit, but thats another story.

Ever driven a car with a boxer engine?

I have and can 100% guarantee you they are not shit. Shit to work on, but very good motors. 

Is it a rare thing to have driven a car with a boxer in it these days? lol  Okay I have driven and worked on a bunch of subi's, porsches and bug/karrmans, that mean my opinion counts more? 

An engine will be as good as its designed to be. The layout however is not ideal from an engineering standpoint. It sacrifices on some areas to gain on others(like most things), which is a very low sense of gravity and a package that can be dropped in and taken out in its entirety relatively easily. I cant stand working on them but thats just me. 

That bug is awesome though and ya its not a datsun but some may have missed this is the general discussion forum. Considering the nonsense that people post I will take this any day of the week. 

• Like 1

Ever driven a car with a boxer engine?

I have and can 100% guarantee you they are not shit. Shit to work on, but very good motors. 

For the record yes I have driven cars with boxers, many actually, mostly Subarus I will admit, but with a few Porsches and old Volkswagens in there.

that said I HATE BOXER 4 ENGINES, I hate how they run, I hate the power delivery stock, and I HATE HATE HATE that god damn thumping jitteryness.

But hey, to each his own, know what would help those cars stock though? an equal length exhaust header.

Also I will say, performance wise, the boxer 6 is freaking amazing, not the best for long term reliability, but absolutely smooth and perfectly balanced. Why? Because it has 2 extra cylinders on the front.

same thing applies to the boxer 12, but I haven't driven a Testarossa or 512B, ......yet!.