620 complete rewire?

jvb5577

Now I'm sure this subject may have been covered but I was having a hard time finding it.  Has anyone attempted or thought about rewiring their whole truck.  I mean all complete new wires or mostly complete (will use ones that are in good shape still).  I went to look up the diagram sticky'd at the top but the link was dead (for the '73).  I have the factory manual so will use that.  I just want to "modernize" my trucks wiring so I don't have to worry about melting wires or popping fuses.  Figured I would do this when I put my LZ in.  

I guess my main questions are: is this worth the time and effort and money?  Should I just do the simple upgrades (light relays, ect)?  Is there a way to get the headlight off the brake light circuit?

I'm pretty new to wiring also. So not sure if this is something I can tackle either but would like it done.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never done a complete rewire on a datto but I have done other vehicles from scratch & with a wiring kit. 

Do yourself a HUGE favor & use a kit.

Most if not all the kits target the domestic car market but that doesnt matter. You just want to make sure you have enough circuits for your application.

My buddy that you met at the Datsloco Swap just used this kit http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Economy-12-Circuit-Wiring-Harness,2352.html & highly recomends it.

I haven't really laid out any plans either just something I have been thinking about doing.  Wanted to get the good'ol ratsuns comments and ideas.  

Heretic:  I didn't even know that had basic kits.  This is something that will really help!

:D  agreed

If you're planning on keeping the factory dash look closely at the stock harness connectors/plugs & graft the obvious ones to your new harness, like the round gauge cluster plug. 

You'll want to solder & heatshrink ALL your harness connections. Don't cheap out & use crimp connectors.

Was reading over the instructions for the kit.  Seems like a good kit.  Basic and everything is prelabled.  Now I will start laying out what I will need to do based off the factory wiring diagram.  Now will I still need a headlight relay with this kit.  I am going to be using BMW ellipsoid headlight and will probably opt out to HIDs in them and delete the designated "highbeam" lights.

I was just thinking about the crimp way.  Might as well do it right so I won't have problems.

That particular kit is set up for 2 headlights & doesnt look to have a relay.

If you're going to be running H4's or HID's I would make my own headlight sub-harness with relays ( I see a perfect place for you to hone your soldiering skills  :P ) & use the lighting circuit from the kit to energize the headlight sub-harness.

my issues came in my DZ start after the install. The 2nd time around i took no hostages and cut no corners. Nothing worse than parking ur rig for the night and it not starting the next morning 

Exactly what I will be afraid of since this is my DD.

That particular kit is set up for 2 headlights & doesnt look to have a relay.

If you're going to be running H4's or HID's I would make my own headlight sub-harness with relays ( I see a perfect place for you to hone your soldiering skills  :P ) & use the lighting circuit from the kit to energize the headlight sub-harness.

Yeah it is for just two but that is all I will be using.  Alright I will have to do that then

Thanks for the suggestions K_trip.

My wiring right now has nothing wrong with it except the reverse lights are not hooked up.  Thats it!  I am just concerned about the wiring being 40 years old.  I do not know how many of the stock wires have been cut and what not.  Haven't gone threw it all yet.  Just would feel safer going to newer and thicker gauge wiring.

Good to know you got it done pretty fast as I didn't want this to be a few day process.  I get understand the whole rewiring down the road but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.  As for documenting it is a must, agreed!  Nothing worse than down the road a problem happens and I have no idea what wire it is.

I had pulled the donor one and it was FRIED!  I mean it was melted threw in multiple spots.  I took it all apart hoping to save it but it was way beyond repair unfortunately.  Scary thing about it was that a lot of the stuff worked.  Made me think if it was a ticking time bomb waiting to catch everything on fire  :blink:

Agreed, the wiring in these trucks is SO SIMPLE & deffinately on par with a generic harness. My only concern would be the condition/damage of the wires you can't see because of all the years of ranch truck repairs & over loaded cicuits.   

The alternator upgrade is a worthy one & just as important IMO is the headlight relay upgrade. It takes a tremendous load off the main harness. 

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...

Datsunfreak and dimlight have rewired multiple datsuns with generic kits.  Maybe not 620s but that's not that important.

Also, i modified and retrofitted a complete 720 harness with a/c etc, into my '71 510.  If you care to see that, check out my thread "Halfpint"

• Like 1