Sunroof Restoration.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tub has been clear coated as well. I repaired the rust on the hole. I converted it, let it sit for 24 hours, and then I fillered it. Pics soon.

Primer and paint are next for the hole, then I have to reassemble the tub and to do that I have to sew together the inner panel liner. Thats the part that looks like the headliner and covers the hole when the roof is closed.

once the tub is reassembled and tested, then I can reinstall it in the car. Then I need to replace the drain tubes.

I really need to find a new outer panel with a better seal and less rust, and unless I want to order a new one at $504.00 from the United Arab Emirates, I need to get one out of the yard.... Too bad its hard to find these cars.

After all that shit is done (except the outer panel, that can be done later) I need to make a new headliner. And then mount it in place with some of the good 3m super trim adhesive.

I hate sun roofs.

So, Now is normally the time you would want to be taking care of your roofline.

This is in my build thread, as of now. But it also applies here.

I had some minor rust on the edges of the hole. The right way to do this is to mask a rectangular section around the hole on both sides of it. That way you put a new surface all around the roof hole. (having a hole in the roof generally CAUSES rust, but Nissan didnt seem so much concerned with that as much as they wanted people to beable to drunkenly stick their heads out of it....) This will allow a good protective coat while I drive the car around and save up to get a decent paint job on the whole car.So I used rust reformer after I sanded it all down. Used 2 coats let it sit for 24h. I filled the pitting from the rust, then I primed with self etching primer

71D69DB5-B0F3-42DB-BF09-9B00100C5991-181

C83F8FF0-8E18-4FC6-AD36-A1D2FBD02295-181

A18EDE7F-71B7-44FC-824A-CDD130C1979E-181

0709153B-A05F-4CC3-B42E-8BDE2C62FB7F-181

B9A457EB-0300-4C0D-A722-38BDC65AB5B1-181

I sanded the primer reall smooth and then laid down silver enamel. I thought it would be a good touch. Tomorrow I will wet sand with like a 1500 grit,  and then lay the clear coat, Possibly wednesday on the clear. Either way I am going to start reassembling the tub tonight/tomorrow. more pics soon.

IMAG0133_zps56b8de16.jpg

• Like 1

The Rails and sliders have been reassembled, Greased and the wires are mostly clean, I will clean the renaining once I install the wire guide. Greasing these assembly correctly is messy so be prepared. The rails are sealed with 3M weatherstrip cement, and screwed onto the tub in 5 holes along each. Those little plates on the end hold the wire guides when they are installed.

IMAG0148_zps99322248.jpg

Next the wire guide gets disassembled and cleaned., first I have to remove the wire harness, which is zip tied on, of course.

IMAG0146_zps4a438c57.jpg

The gear center where the motor gear comes up and push-pulls the wires is where everything is held together

IMAG0147_zps33ea0eea.jpg

I reassembled the whole sun roof except the cosmetic parts.

I even surprise myself a little sometimes, I didnt understand how this damn thing worked until I got it back together.

I got it aligned to the motor and the motor and entire system now works. What is cool is that theres a limit switch for half way, just like a modern sun roof.

I hooked it up to the car battery with a fuse, and the open close button works. and the assembly functions probably better than it did in the last 30 years.

here is the roof in half closed position

IMAG0151_zps6d4f31a4.jpg

And here is is retracted

IMAG0152_zpsa2e8e3ea.jpg

Next thing to do is to upholster the finisher panel, or inner panel, (the part that looks like the headliner) I bought some $22.00 A CAN!!!!!!!! 3M super yellow adhesive last night, so that should do it.

So, I made the finisher panel cover today, the aforementioned glue, 3M 08090, Is some hard core crazy stuff, crazier than any other cement type glue I have ever used. I have no fear that this cover is not coming off. Use gloves.

IMAG0155_zps1630f7ff.jpg

And heres the front (headliner sneak peak), The little blue rails onthe sides are the only thing I didnt do anything to before installing them. The will never be seen once the sun roof is installed, the panel slides on them.

IMAG0154_zps057913b1.jpg

Lots of progress. and a few videos

Here is a video of it operating.

Here is the tub with the gasket and finisher plate installed.

IMAG0157_zps07da2e92.jpg

and heres the wind deflector installed. Its easier to do this out of the car due to the nature of the springs.

IMAG0158_zps5c1235fa.jpg

We dropped it in the car pretty easy through the back windshield opening.

IMAG0159_zps9b57bd4b.jpg

IMAG0160_zps1d3a00ad.jpg

Then my friends who helped me install it were wondering if it worked......

So we all got antzy, and this was the result.......

It doesnt have the shims in it yet, and it still needs a few minor adjustments, and there is no gasket, and the panel still needs restored. But it works exactly like it is supposed to.

• Like 1

Thanks man, Yeah it is really smooth. I was amazed that it only needs a couple small adjustments once I put it together. 

Theres more details to come. I will cover repairing the outer panel, and the seal and then shimming of the panel to get it flat with the roof.

The Rails and sliders have been reassembled, Greased and the wires are mostly clean, I will clean the renaining once I install the wire guide. Greasing these assembly correctly is messy so be prepared. The rails are sealed with 3M weatherstrip cement, and screwed onto the tub in 5 holes along each. Those little plates on the end hold the wire guides when they are installed.

IMAG0148_zps99322248.jpg

Next the wire guide gets disassembled and cleaned., first I have to remove the wire harness, which is zip tied on, of course.

IMAG0146_zps4a438c57.jpg

The gear center where the motor gear comes up and push-pulls the wires is where everything is held together

IMAG0147_zps33ea0eea.jpg

Oh good God man, with all those parts I'm sure glad you got your head together Ha! It does look good and are you painting your ride yourself?  This primer that your using is it a sealer?

• Like 1

Just Rustoleum self etching, I am going to get the car repainted in about 2 years or so, so I just wanted to eliminate the rust on the sunroof hole and take care of that entire area as I restored the sunroof.

It turned out so good though I could probably paint the whole car..... lol.

The saga continues!!!!

Today I picked up 25' of what is going to be the sunroof seal. It seems to fit perfect, maybe better than the original.

Here is the stuff I used. Pics coming soon of the new panel and the seal fitment.

Here is the seal:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TRIM-LOK-INC-Edge-Grip-Seal-10C977

In case the link dies, its Trim Lok brand Model # 5M062B3X1/16A

• Like 1