Sunroof Restoration.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, Not too late though.

I still have to finish the paint, apply the seal and glue it in, put the roof panel on and align it, and I am gonna include the sunroof portion of the headliner in this thread too once I get that in.

I replaced the Drain tubes in the front. I used 5/8th ID irrigation hose, it was a bit smaller than the size (probabbly metric) that Nissan used, but it is the same type of hose. I used a heat gun on the end to get it to fit over the copper tube on the tub. Fits like a glove. 1 ten foot roll was enough to do the front two. However the lines were actually in great condition, I did not replace the rears so that I could save myself 10 bucks(which I NEED right now for paint), the rears are inb better condition than the front though, and if they should ever fail I can rplace them in less than 30 minutes, even with the headliner in,The fronts are much harder to do, even with the headliner out, but still not too hard.

IMAG0181_zps7fca5529.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of putting the headliner in. I clipped all the edges in the car together with binder/file clips, and got them tight. then I cut holes and mounted the stuff on the roof, like the visors, the rear viwe mount, the dome light, sunroof switch, and the hole cover for the manual operation handle. I then used 3M8090 to glue it in starting with the part attached to the sunroof tub (it wraps around the lip) I let it dry overnight while it was being held together with 53 file clips. Then in the morning I removed the file clips. The glue was almost completely dry, so I installed the trim edge seal. I have not installed the roof yet. I just pulled the finisher panel forward to show what the end result will be.

IMAG0200_zpsa7f91a43.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I will know more when I get to drive it, lol.

Its worth it, but I will say this, I must have nearly 100 hours into this thing with all the stripping, painting, sanding, prepping, cleaning, mechanical aligning, mounting, ect ect ect...

And that is not even counting the research I had to do to find stuff to do it right.

And its 100 hours of which only MAYBE 3-4 of those hours are actually visible to most people. so I might have done like 95 hours of invisible work on my car. hahahaha.

I guess I will know more when I get to drive it, lol.

Its worth it, but I will say this, I must have nearly 100 hours into this thing with all the stripping, painting, sanding, prepping, cleaning, mechanical aligning, mounting, ect ect ect...

And that is not even counting the research I had to do to find stuff to do it right.

And its 100 hours of which only MAYBE 3-4 of those hours are actually visible to most people. so I might have done like 95 hours of invisible work on my car. hahahaha.

You deserve my wife's observation, "It's not your car! It's your hobby".  Fine job, congratulations!

• 1 month later...

I dont, but I can get them, I have an extra panel still out of the car.

There is a member with that black turbo maxima who has a glass sunroof, I dont know all the details on how, but I did find it rather interesting.

Plan on replacing your headliner and rear glass seal at the same time if you do get around to doing anything up there, cause they both have to come out.

I love the L28 Pumpkin!!

Thanks, and I freaking Love my Maxima! The L28 is torquey and the suspension is Nice. Personally I think they are the best of the best, as far as datsuns go...

I am having some weird occasional fuel starvation feeling problems, and it pops and wants to die every once in a while after starting, till it's revved up...