510 charging problem

So it all started one day when I was driving up to Tahoe for a nice drive. As I was driving i noticed my charge light was coming on and off. After further inspection it seemed to come on at lower RPMs so I turned around and drove home. When I got back I started to check the connections and if I moved the two prong connector that goes into the back of the alternator the light would go off and the alternator would charge. The problem was that I couldn't find a new connector so I crimped on some spade wire connectors just to stop the problem for now. Well that didnt solve it, so i figured it had to be the alternator. after replacing the alternator and the voltage regulator its still not working correctly. And to add to it if the regulator is plugged in the car will not turn off. but as soon as I discconect it it turns off. I am now very lost. could it be that I switched those two wires??? I dont want to start moving wires around in fear of blowing the whole thing up. Any ideas would be helpful!!!!

Thanks

Joe

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it all started one day when I was driving up to Tahoe for a nice drive. As I was driving i noticed my charge light was coming on and off. After further inspection it seemed to come on at lower RPMs so I turned around and drove home. When I got back I started to check the connections and if I moved the two prong connector that goes into the back of the alternator the light would go off and the alternator would charge. The problem was that I couldn't find a new connector so I crimped on some spade wire connectors just to stop the problem for now. Well that didnt solve it, so i figured it had to be the alternator. after replacing the alternator and the voltage regulator its still not working correctly. And to add to it if the regulator is plugged in the car will not turn off. but as soon as I discconect it it turns off. I am now very lost. could it be that I switched those two wires??? I dont want to start moving wires around in fear of blowing the whole thing up. Any ideas would be helpful!!!!

Thanks

Joe

If your external voltage regulator is still on the strut tower behind the battery, and if it is still connected to the harness on your car, it's safe to assume that it hasn't been changed and has the stock external regulated alternator on it.

As you have replaced the alternator, it should have a sticker on the side. Alternators requiring an external voltage regulator (yours) will have LT1 marked on it somewhere. Alternators used after '77 with built in regulators are marked LR1.

The flickering light and the seemingly loose connection could also be worn out brushes. The two prong connector is part of the brush assy and wiggling it could make or break a worn out brush ... and easy cheap fix.

get a volt meter on the battery while running and monitor the voltage and put lights on. wipers and such.

write down the voltages and tell up.

By the time the light comes on its already to leate in most cases.

there are cheap cig light install diode volt monitors that work also.like below

I used to run this before it broke. I think they only worth 10$ but they work well.

http://www.equus.com/Product/3721/Battery-Monitor

After doing some research I found out that its a alternator for a 1978 620. After talking to the auto parts store they told me that it is internally regulated. So thats my problem.   After searching I am still not 100% sure how to wire that in.

Thanks