Tranny is in! But...

PineClone

Just finished up my 5-speed swap from auto tranny. As a quick refresher, my one odd challenge was that the new slave didn't quite fit. This was the Rhino Pack slave.

My worry was that the clutch fork was resting too far forward due to possibly having a release bearing that was too thick. I do not recall whether i compared the old bearing (that came with the 5-speed), but it fit just right on the collar.

I ended up ordering a different brand of slave which BARELY fit. And by "barely" i mean that i could get one bolt started, then had to apply a little pressure to rotate it in place and get the second bolt started. This was a much better fit than the Rhino which had no chance of fitting, but still pretty snug.

So, all that said, the tranny is in and the car is still on blocks. I fired up the motor, and put it in gear. Smooth!! All is good. BUT, i release the clutch pedal and i hear a chugga-chugga-chugga sound. Depress the clutch and the sound goes away. Put it in gear and i hear the chugga-chugga-chugga sound. My guess is that this is either NORMAL OPERATION or EFFED UP. 

I am voting for NORMAL.

No time to clean up my mess and lower off blocks tonight to give it a drive. But plan to do that tomorrow. Interested in any thoughts from the experts.

Thanks for all the help fellers!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess...When the clutch pedal is down, the clutch bearing is pressed tightly and spinning. When the pedal is released, the bearing is still spinning but w/o pressure, so you can hear it rattling around on the shaft.

It is pretty much like this, but not as loud.

Seems to me that i need to pull it apart.  :sneaky:

Start motor, depress clutch and slowly move the shifter into reverse. Does it go into reverse and quietly or is there a constant whirring sound to gear teeth?

If there is any grinding this means the input shaft is still spinning when it should not be. This could be the clutch is not completely disengaged from between the flywheel and the pressure plate.

1/ Possibly the disc is damaged and rubbing one or the other or the pressure plate is bent, uneven or damaged and rubbing the clutch disc.

2/ The collar that the release bearing is on it too short and even with the pedal all the way down there is not enough travel to disengage the clutch disc.

3/ The slave has air in it and not moving the clutch arm far enough to disengage the clutch disc. The slave push rod should move at least one inch.

There is no grinding. 

Tonight i removed the slave, hoping that the clutch fork may need a little more room to fully disengage the bearing. But it didn't make any difference.

With regard to #2 and #3, the noise only happens when the clutch pedal is out. When i push the pedal in, it goes away. Everything seems fine as far as the push rod movement.

Tomorrow i'm going to go ahead and take it for a drive and see if anything changes under load. Probably burn it up!

Yes, full of GL-4 80w90.

Tranny was rebuilt by a pro, but clutch installed by a non-pro (me). I doubt there is a chipped tooth. The noise sounds like it is at the front of the tranny where the bearing would be.

What i am curious to find out is if the sound gets louder as it heats up.

ive never actually looked at my clutch pedal, but i assume it is similar/the same to other, younger

nissan clutches.

in a z32/s14, sometimes if you swap out clutch components, where your clutch engages/disengages

is different.

one thing it might be is with the components youre using, your clutch isnt able to disengage all the way.

look under your dash at your clutch pedal. if you are able to adjust the rod in there, do it. adjust the

rod OUT, as in away from the engine and into the cab (counterclockwise.)

clutchadjustment.jpg

heres the link. again this is for a z32, idk if this is your problem but it sounds like it might be

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/faq/FAQpages/clutchadjustment.html

Dawa - yes this is a good idea. However, the problem can't be at the pedal because i completely removed the slave cylinder so that i could be sure the fork was returning the full distance. I really wish the problem was this simple. I'm 99% sure it is internal.

Another thought: Some of these trannys had an internal clutch return spring. Based on all that i've read here, it is not needed. And i did not have that part with the tranny that i got from my buddy B210GX. The return spring is shown in my shop manual. I'm beginning to wonder if this was something i should have had.

How am i supposed to report back when i'm out DRIVING MY NEW DATSUN!!

All i have to say is....

Chris+Farley+awesome.jpg

A totally different car with the 5-speed. Way more power. Cruises on the highway. So fun to drive. 

The noise is still there. My guess is that its the pilot bushing. The sound isn't obvious to others unless i point it out. So i'm going to go with it until something changes.

REALLY appreciate all the help from Ratsuners.

My last step on the tranny conversion is to find a leather or vinyl shift boot. Nobody in town carries them.

Which console do you have?  you might try fleebay.  BUT... you might just want to hold off on that too  I have a secret  ................

And when might this secret come out?

Because I currently just have a z shift boot over mine with the stock auto console

Also, CONGRATS one the swap, it really does feel completely different right?!

The noise is still there. My guess is that its the pilot bushing. The sound isn't obvious to others unless i point it out. So i'm going to go with it until something changes.

So, all that said, the tranny is in and the car is still on blocks. I fired up the motor, and put it in gear. Smooth!! All is good. BUT, i release the clutch pedal and i hear a chugga-chugga-chugga sound. Depress the clutch and the sound goes away. Put it in gear and i hear the chugga-chugga-chugga sound. My guess is that this is either NORMAL OPERATION or EFFED UP.

If it makes the sound with the pedal up and clutch engaged then not the pilot bushing. Clutch engaged means the clutch disc is clamped to the flywheel and spinning at same speed. Only with the pedal down is the wheel spinning and the clutch disc not.

And when might this secret come out?

I made a mold for a new center console, I just dont want to cut up my stock one to install a stereo. Seeing that I have the delete panel in the stock radio hole.  will post pics later on today :)

In its own thread.. 

• Like 1

I made a mold for a new center console, I just dont want to cut up my stock one to install a stereo. Seeing that I have the delete panel in the stock radio hole.  will post pics later on today :)

In its own thread.. 

OMG cant wait to see it! Hopefully you will take some orders  :w00t: