The 5 speed is in! Drove the car and I feel like this...

j_boy_619

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost done with mine. But "almost" can turn into a lot of days. I have 3 things left. 

1. Bleed clutch

2. Add gear oil

3. Figure out wiring.

Spent all of last evening trying to get the clutch bled. I get a single blast of bubbles on the first pump, and then nothing after that.

Congratulations! I am envious.

I'm almost done with mine. But "almost" can turn into a lot of days. I have 3 things left. 

1. Bleed clutch

Spent all of last evening trying to get the clutch bled. I get a single blast of bubbles on the first pump, and then nothing after that.

Congratulations! I am envious.

Make sure you clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder seals are in good condition before bleeding :)

I usually install NEW slave cylinders on my datsuns about every 3-4 years ... or rebuild them ... also bleed the systems every 1-2 years to get the moisture out (hopefully).

(1) Fill your clutch master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid

(2) make sure bleeder is closed and all hoses are good as well as connections are tight.

(3) carefully pump your clutch pedal a few times (don't have to extend all the way...)

(4) go underneath the car and crack the bleeder open for about 2-3 seconds... then close it snugly.

(5) repeat #3

(6) repeat #4

(7) repeat #3

(8) repeat #4

(9) Check master cylinder reservoir for fluid ... top off as necessary.

(10) etc etc until a steady stream appears...

(50) Profit !

Having a helper makes things go 5x faster with this ^^^ process.

Having a clutch bleeding tool is even better. (Mighty Vac etc)

I've been doing that process above off and on for a long time and have always had everything work properly after.

Make sure your clutch master cylinder rod adjustment (stroke extension) is in-tune as well.

Have fun and good luck.

(1) Fill your clutch master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid

(2) make sure bleeder is closed and all hoses are good as well as connections are tight.

(3) carefully pump your clutch pedal a few times (don't have to extend all the way...)

(4) go underneath the car and crack the bleeder open for about 2-3 seconds... then close it snugly.

(5) repeat #3

(6) repeat #4

Make sure your clutch master cylinder rod adjustment (stroke extension) is in-tune as well.

Have fun and good luck.

This is pretty much what i did.

1. Bench bleed the master and install it

2. Connect bleeder kit (hose and cup that i bought at the parts store for $7) at the slave. Cup about 1/4 filled with fluid.

3. Have my son push down the clutch

4. Crack bleeder valve (bubbles observed in cup)

5. Tighten bleeder valve

6. Release clutch

7. Push clutch

8. Crack bleeder (no bubbles observed)

9. Tighten valve

10. Repeat....but no bubbles observed. Repeat and repeat and repeat and cuss and sweat and cuss some more.

We did not pump the clutch. Wondering if that might help...though i thought you were NOT supposed to pump the clutch.

I am not sure if the push rod needs to be adjusted in some way to create a more complete compression.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

This is pretty much what i did.

1. Bench bleed the master and install it

2. Connect bleeder kit (hose and cup that i bought at the parts store for $7) at the slave. Cup about 1/4 filled with fluid.

3. Have my son push down the clutch

4. Crack bleeder valve (bubbles observed in cup)

5. Tighten bleeder valve

6. Release clutch

7. Push clutch

8. Crack bleeder (no bubbles observed)

9. Tighten valve

10. Repeat....but no bubbles observed. Repeat and repeat and repeat and cuss and sweat and cuss some more.

We did not pump the clutch. Wondering if that might help...though i thought you were NOT supposed to pump the clutch.

I am not sure if the push rod needs to be adjusted in some way to create a more complete compression.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like you guys did it by the book to me :thumbup: (your hydro's thankyou for the bench bleed too !)

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction for sure if not already , and i'd "assume" it should have worked as well but we all know how things go :)

I'd have your son pump it (slowly and carefully) a couple times then hold = *pump pump hold and.. open bleeder valve then close bleeder valve rinse then repeat*

One thing I like to keep an eye after closing the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder ...

is to gently and slowly... (have your son look for and watch) hook his  toe or foot underneath the clutch pedal to bring it back up to normal resting position

( that is ... if it's sluggish and sitting at the floor-boards or not returning as you well know I'm sure )

I've had to do this myself one time after not

I can't tell you how much of an adjustment your clutch push-rod needs to be exact as I own mostly z's :) (it should be a semi-universal idea/measurement , but in case it is not I certainly don't want to nudge you off the cliff by accident .. )

I believe I usually just "mimmicked" the old clutch master cylinder rod length/adjustment and copied it on installation in my datsun's.

I had it written down somewhere and can't remember dag nabbit ! .. :lol:

Best luck PineClone !! :D

Well i appear to have the clutch bled. What i ended up doing was to depress the clutch and force a large syringe full of fluid through the hole in the master reservoir. Then did the bleeding from below and it worked just fine. Just needed to get a little fluid started. 

Thanks for all the help.

• Like 2

Well i appear to have the clutch bled. What i ended up doing was to depress the clutch and force a large syringe full of fluid through the hole in the master reservoir. Then did the bleeding from below and it worked just fine. Just needed to get a little fluid started. 

Thanks for all the help.

Awesome :thumbup: .. yup no prob.

Cool I'll remember that trick if I ever need to in the future.