New to the scene

Hooligan

+1 bananahamuck; replace all rubber. Sucks to be stranded.

Look up wayno's threads of his 521, I bow to his skills.

If the clutch was not replaced with the new engine. Lets just say 40+ years and a heavy foot = poof, clutch is dust.

I would also think of cleaning out the fuel tank and blow out all of the fuel lines, than a fresh fuel filter.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weber would be a good option.

I would take advantage of the moment and blow out those fuel lines. I have had 4 old Datsuns including a 521 that had gunked up fuel lines. Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and at the fuel pump spray in a can of carb cleaner at pump side and blow out into a can waiting at the other end. Keep doing this until clean fluids exits. I would hate to see you spend $300 on a Weber and gum up the thing on the first hit of the key. I know I sound preachy, but hey I am a dad.

Also, forgot to mentioned excellent ride!

No I definitely appreciate the advice. I have had my hands on wrenches for years but I usually don't spend any time on something that has been siting for years. Any advice is good advice as to I am now learning the ins and outs of Datsuns

Have you stepped on the brakes?

Matchbox distributors are a good upgrade as mentioned above, no more points is a great thing, I timed my engine once, never had to do that again, tune up is a cap, rotor and plugs, it's great, but in my opinion, everyone should have to install and adjust points at least once in their life, just so you know how to do it.

Drive the shit out of it, L16s like to rev compared to the L20b, so don't be afraid to rev it up.

Right on with the points adjustment atleast once. 32 thousands (matchbox lid)? Nice truck and awesome price!! Have fun with her.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres another one at Yank a Park in Poulsbo. What items are you looking for?- I removed some off that truck. 

Gonna have to hit that up on Tuesday. I'm looking for both doors window channel, shifter boot, door panels, just some other small odds an ends. 

Window channel felt was there (I dont remember condition), I bought the door panels a few months ago, I dont think there was a boot, I also bought all the switches, and cranks. I have some stuff available still so if you cant find what you need there shoot me a message, I might still have it. 

• 1 month later...