1981 Datsun 510

alexmeans

First time on Ratsun, and First time Datsun owner!!

1981 Datsun 510 4 Door Hatchback in WHITE!!

Picked it up for $1,800 into it for $1000 but hey who's keeping track!!!!

Anyone else got an 80's HL510 I belive it's called and known as A10 (If source is reliable....)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't my main reason for it, I was looking for a little but more hp/to for my car was gonna fix my engine then get a z22-z24 and go with ka pistons.

Yes the Z24 will bolt up but you will need to swap the oil pan and pick up tube. The Z24 was only ever put in trucks and vans and has a much different pan. It is also 2cm (3/4") taller. Not a huge increase in hp but gobs of torque!!!

I personally would swap in a ka24de since you don't have to flip the crossmember...

Yes, but this is much more involved than that. Cooling would be an issue, you would need a high pressure fuel pump, a complete EFI wiring system, motor mounts made, possible cross member flip (which is easy to say but requires a jig some cutting and re welding) If you have a standard it's a 4 speed F4W63 which is just barely enough for an L20B... a KA will destroy it in short order. So a KA and a KA 5 speed then? Modify trans mount, tunnel shift hole mod and shorten the driveshaft on top of everything else. Haven't mentioned connecting the exhaust down pipe or throttle cable. Lotta work and $$$$$

You don't need KA pistons. You would have bore out the Z24 block to the next oversize KA piston, then rings on top of that and high octane gas for the 9.52 compression forever for a 4-5 hp gain. A good running Z24 is over 100hp and 130 torque @ 2,800.

How much fab is needed for the ka? And how hard is it to switch it to carb

You would need a custom intake and a carb of some kind. KA24E or DE use an ECU and a crank angle sensor to fire the plugs. So an L20B distributor could be made to work.

Really and that's stock?

Are z24's hard to find?

Question on bore....

Can it increase Hp very standard?

Z20i or any z... Are the EFI models hard to find and are capable of turbo..?

I'm just seeing my options for future reference

103 @ 4,800 and 135 torque @2,800. They aren't screamers but they do breath pretty good at below 4K and lots of pulling power getting close to that of a KA24E.

Hard to find? They are only in '83 and up 720 trucks.

Can bore increase hp? Well strictly as a function of volume. A Z24 is 2384cc and 103hp. Increasing the bore 0.040" or 40 thou or 1mm will increase the engine size to 2440cc or an increase of 2.3% so that's a staggering increase amounting to 2.36 hp. worth it? no.

I don't think there were any Z20i engines but the '80-'81 S110 200sx had an EFI Z20E motor. Very rudimentary fuel injection and I doubt it would manage more than a few pounds of boost.

The later '82-'83 S110200sx had a nice Z22E. Not as torky as the Z24 but with easy starting and smooth running EFI.

Both these motors would fit but they are EFI and need some mods to run it.

The Z24 will bolt to the '81 Z20 transmission however the '81 transmission is a bit light for this. It was built for the L16 and used with the L20B and Z20... for anything larger I would want something stronger. If getting a Z24, get the transmission that's on it already. The Z24 came with much stronger 71B  long and short 5 speeds.

I'm also looking for a new rear axle with lower ratio... Looking for lower Rpm since I highway daily.

Which trucks should I look out for?

Hoping for a lower ratio... Need lower Rpm.. Tired of 65mph at 3000rpm

'

Your A10 already has a stupid low 3.364 rear end in it.

Seriously? Damn... In that case.. If I find for instance a Datsun truck can I just connect the drive shaft of that directly to my rear end? I literally don't know anything and the only source for info is this site and even then post 78 info on 510 is nearly impossible to find.

Yours is an H-165 axle, the trucks run a different H-190 size and the ratios are usually over 4 to one. Your ratio is about as low as you can go or want to. Best thing is to get an over drive 5 speed. The problem is that you may drop the RPMs below what is needed to comfortably make enough power to push through the air at 65.

You don't need KA pistons. You would have bore out the Z24 block to the next oversize KA piston, then rings on top of that and high octane gas for the 9.52 compression forever for a 4-5 hp gain. A good running Z24 is over 100hp and 130 torque @ 2,800.

You would need a custom intake and a carb of some kind. KA24E or DE use an ECU and a crank angle sensor to fire the plugs. So an L20B distributor could be made to work.

I thought the Datsun 1200 distributor could be made to work on the E?