wacky 620 taillight problem

bgmk106

Hey guys I wil try and explain this as best i can but it is bound to get quite confuing.

The left taillight worked perfect when I got the truck but now is acting very strange and i need some advice as to where to start looking. Please keep in mind all of the bulbs are good, I have switched taillights from right to left and have the same problem so it is not an issue with the housing, and the right taillight opperates perfectly.

There is no left turn signal or brake light but the taillights turn on with the rest of the lights.

Here is what boggles my mind. The hazards work AND the brake lights work only when the hazards are on.

Not sure if this is common but any advice would be much appreciated!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hazards are completely seperate from the turn signals and brakes I had the same issues only on the right. My issue was within the turn signal switch itself a look into the switch and make sure the connection works properly as the brakes and turn signals are wired together. As of right now im looking into rewiring them for led ill take pics as I go if you're interested if I go that route.

• Like 1

The brake light and turn signal are on the same wire. The brake switch wire actually runs through the hazard relay before it goes to the rear of the truck, so they are NOT completely separate. Check the schematic. I would clean the connections on the hazard relay and the turn signal switch. Usually, it's dirty connections that cause problems with lighting.

The hazards actually bypass the turn signal switch, so if the wiring works fine with the hazards, chances are your problem is in the turn signal switch.

Check this post out. Not exactly the same problem but will give you a good idea how the truck is wired and how to clean the contacts for the turn signal wires that sits up on the steering wheel column:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41851-620-brake-lights/

The problem is inside the turn signal switch. Also a possibility is one of the wires to the switch have come loose at the switch or at the plugs leading to the switch.  Usually one or more of the connections inside get corroded, or worse the contacts break off (usually it's just corrosion).    There are a number of little parts inside though do be careful diassembling it.  I've had that issue in the past.

Thanks everyone. After examining the switch i found that one of the solder joints had broken off. Just re-soldered it on. Also, on the back of that little circut board one of the lead tabs was bent and therefore not making contact. Got everything sorted in a couple hours most of which was spent finding the tiny copper contact shoes that I had dropped :poke: