L28et randomly dies.

TurboMax

So I have an 82 maxima with L28et swap. I have recently experienced some weird ghost. Hopefully someone can shed some light. I have good fuel pressure. Even when it dies. Pretty sure it's a spark issue. I have replaced coil, power transistor, ign relay, and checked cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Everything seems ok. While driving (usually decelerating) the car will just shut off, then a few seconds later all the "idiot lights" come on. I tried to replace the ign switch but the autozone carries an incompatible part... When the car dies I can't roll start or just crank it back over. I have to sit on the side of the road for 5-20 minutes until magically it fires up(will crank over no problem, just won't run). After i finally get it running again it rarely happens again that trip. it will happen atleast once per drive no matter the time of day, warmth of car. this is my daily and need to make it 100% reliable again. have only had this problem for the last 1-2 moths. I hope someone can point me in a new direction or help me diagnose this issue. Sorry for the lengthy post, tried to explain what I know so far.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Realizing I'm throwing out a broad-base of questions/checklist ... it's harder to help/diagnose over the web.

If you don't have a mult-meter tool ... I'd spend the $10 and snag one in a flash. (best friend with your car).

If you end up having a short in the wiring ... it can very well act as you're describing.

Check your fusible links first ... even a little corrosion = no bueno.

You'll want to see corroded over melted ... melted is big bueno if left un-treated/diagnosed/fixed.

You can buy fusible link wire locally at auto-parts stores or off ebay by the spool/link.

Do you have the 81' or 82-83 L28ET system ?

Clean the Ignitor and Ignitor connections ? (ignition module.. normally located on the ignition coil bracket).

CAS and CAS connections to it good ? (be suspicious of both the Crank mounted and distributor mounted models ... more or less the crank version)

Have you had your alternator/battery load tested locally for free at a parts house ? (when it gets hot out and cars start dieing... one simply wonders.. )

All grounds are good/cleaned/replaced ?

MAF tested good ?

Battery cables good/cleaned/tested/replaced ?

Test the ECM ? (there have been complaints of soldering joints giving-way after x amount of years... Z-train on here I believe has re-soldered his own with success , but don't quote me on that entirely).

Test the fuel pressure ?

Last time you checked/cleaned the EFI relay or Fuel Pump relay. (I'm not sure how Maxis wire up)

checked connections to the fuel pump and fuel pump pressure ?

Ocassionally injector connectors CAN short out and kill the car depending on exactly what has transpired.

Sensor connectors

Anything Bosch EV-1 or "clip style" connectors are usually TOAST if they haven't been replaced in the last 30-years..

Blocked exhaust systems ( are you losing or lost power ? )

Google keywords: xenon.com s130 ....

Then download the fsm's .. not sure there is a lot of turbo specific stuff , but most of it is fluid enough knowledge you should be able to fix it.

That would help you narrow down quite a bit quickly.

DTP. Thanks for the input, here's what I know. It's an 82 L28et swap(82 dizzy wheel with solid lifters), cleaned all relays yesterday, battery checks good, has GM alternator pumping a strong 14V, "igniter" aka power transistor is new, all grounds are clean and solid, fusible links look good too, afm hasn't been checked(yet), fuel pressure is a solid 35-40psi and connections are good. Only thing I haven't checked/replaced is the CAS and ign switch. I'm working on finding an ign switch this weekend. Multimeter is next on the list. I also have an FSM on both the maxi and 280. I suppose I'll keep digging.

A short would either blow a fuse or a fusible link. More likely it's an 'open' or a break in the power circuit as you say...."When the car dies I can't roll start or just crank it back over" This tells me there is no power to the ignition switch. It should at least crank over even if it does not start. ZX cars have a history of bad fusible links and are often replaced with regular fuses that are easy to spot as bad.

Find them and inspect them. You likely have a fried one that warms up and opens.

I should clarify, when it does die it will still crank no problem, just won't fire and run. If I had a bad fusible link wouldn't I lose power to acc and such (ie lights, radio, etc) when it does nothing else faults and fuel psi stays around 35.

I thought I would update this thread. After many frustrating nights of tracing wires, redoing PO "wiring", and getting utterly frustrated, I have found the culprit. DTP your input helped alot, I thank you.

And the winner is... Bad CAS...

Thanks all for the input, glad to have my maxi back on the road.

• Like 2

I thought I would update this thread. After many frustrating nights of tracing wires, redoing PO "wiring", and getting utterly frustrated, I have found the culprit. DTP your input helped alot, I thank you.

And the winner is... Bad CAS...

Thanks all for the input, glad to have my maxi back on the road.

Welcome..that's cool to hear TurboMax :thumbup:

Great you found the problem and fixed it ! :cool:

man you should post some pics of her on here, I am building one like that as we speak.

edit: did you not sell it?

I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. I decided to keep it and have some serious plans for it. Plus it's cool having a "rare" Datsun. As we all know, datsuns are a rarity in and of themselves these days.

• Like 1

I am actually really glad you decided to keep it man. these 910s are getting really rare. your car is serving for some much needed inspiration for mine as well.

you should definitely make a project thread, and maybe (if your willing to, hehehe) share some of your plans with us. I know Im interested.

• Like 1