Looking for metric replacement for 521 wheel studs

I am looking for 12x1.5 wheel studs that I can press into my 521 stock hub. I beleive the knurl is .453 inches in diameter but thats all I know, the reason why I ask is I want to run mitsu montero wheels but I cant find lug nuts with a large enough diameter of shank so that my wheels will center (in7/16x20) and the only lugs that anyone can point me to that will work are 12x1.5.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Length isnt the issue its the diameter. The shank of the lug nut that goes into the holes of the wheels cannot be had in a large enough diameter in that particular thread pitch (at least according to schwab, americas tire company, and about 5 other tire shops a long 82nd) So either someone knows something that I dont or I have to swap my lug studs to 12x1.5 so I can use yota lug nuts. I do know Atom Church is running the same wheels but I dont know that hes ever on ratsun anymore but I hope he logs on as I sent him a pm about it.

Wow my reading comprehension is terrble sorry Daniel, I am still looking but its been a grind hoping to all t hese places today.

I am looking for 12x1.5 wheel studs that I can press into my 521 stock hub. I beleive the knurl is .453 inches in diameter but thats all I know, the reason why I ask is I want to run mitsu montero wheels but I cant find lug nuts with a large enough diameter of shank so that my wheels will center (in7/16x20) and the only lugs that anyone can point me to that will work are 12x1.5.

d510addict,

Your in trouble.

.453" = 11.5mm making an M12 stud too big for the hole.

Your only other option will be to drill the holes for a larger knurl diameter or to find new lug-nuts as you mentioned.

d510addict,

Your in trouble.

.453" = 11.5mm making an M12 stud too big for the hole.

Your only other option will be to drill the holes for a larger knurl diameter or to find new lug-nuts as you mentioned.

Ok well I will measure some myself to get an exact number then I may end up going 12x1.25 for the new studs and drilling out the hubs. FML this is soo much work to runnew freakin wheels.

Anyone know anything about 60 deg steel inserts to neck down t he id of the mag wheel holes? and possibly allow me to run non shank style lug nuts?

I really dont want to mess with this shit so I need the simplest solution, hell even different 15x8's would be nice.

The only thing I see in t here are the conical type flange deals that look like they press into the wheel to use different style lug nuts. I keep seeing external centering sleaves that look like they would work but I cannot find a place to order them from.

You can drill out the studs for larger knurl studs. Here is what ARP says about drilling for oversized stud knurls.

9. What drill size do I need for my wheel studs?

To determine what drill size you need for your wheel studs, you will need to know your axle/hub material and the wheel stud knurl diameter. If your axle/hub material is cast iron/steel your drill size will be .005˝ less than the knurl diameter. If your axle/hub material is aluminum, your drill size will be .007˝ less that the knurl diameter. The Wheel Studs Section in the catalog shows the knurl diameter sizes.

Here is a possible solution for you.

Dorman stud P/N 610-484 is an M12 x 1.5 stud that is 51.6mm long.

The knurl is 13.25mm or .522". If you were to use a 33/64" drill (.516") it would give you .006" to press in the stud. This should work for you.

I found my solution!! a fairly common 12x1.25 wheel stud (on hand at Baxters this stud happens to be identicle in every way to the oem studs in later Nissan trucks) might not look like a stock 521 but the splined knurl will still work for pressing in and it has nearly identicle dimensions (save being slightly larger). Just grind off a bit of the head of the stud so that it will press all the way in. Using a 1/2" drill bit and a homemade jig (copied from something I saw posted on another car forum) to keep the drill at a 90 deg with respect to the hub face re drill the holes (leaving them 5 - 10 thousandths smaller than the knurl of the studs).

Then using OEM yota/lexus lug nuts ) which were designed for this type of wheel therefore fit perfectly

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Toyota_Lexus_OEM_Mag_Lug_Nuts_p/98-0003.htm

Can be had online at varius spots (dorman has them as well as this link) Or I know that Auto Outfitters has them (the guy is the one who suggested usng this size stud) everything should work.

Another option would be to use the 12x1.5 wheel stud, but since my fronts are 12x1.25 I wanted to keep things uniform.

Thank you all for your help (cars stress me out and cause me to get quite frantic) I will post some pics next weekend once I get this done.