howto: rewire 620 taillights for amber lenses

rjgilligan

Maybe this should be in another location? Feel free to move it, if so.

This is really straightforward and a relatively simple fix. I'm not the most electrically savvy but managed to figure this out after looking at the truck schematic for a minute.

My taillights were pretty cracked and broken when I got my 620, and after looking around for a while, all I could find for replacements were these ambers ones from Thailand on eBay.

taillights.jpg

Maybe you've seen them as well.  I realized that they were a problem as soon as they arrived.  The Japanese tail lenses made for the US market are all red, and both the blinker (nearest to side of truck) and brake light (2nd from side of truck) send their signals to both lights.  This meant that when I just put these amber ones on, the turn signal blinked red and amber, as did the brakes. A bit confusing for other drivers.

The 620 runs 2 wires back for L and R signals that act as both the signal and brake wires.  You'll need to run a separate brake wire to split them apart. Here are the steps I took.

1: Pull the wire wrapping off the taillights.  On each unit, you'll find a green wire that splits and goes to both the 1st and 2nd bulbs. Cut it at the split for the one that goes to the 2nd, but leave the green wire going to the 1st bulb. Tape off the exposed wire.  This will effectively remove the turn signal blink from the brake light.

2: Disconnect the switching side of the switch mounted on the brake petal mount, directly above the brake petal, which runs a wire to the hazard unit. To know which is which, you can test each with a volt meter while the key is turned on.  The switching side should only be hot when the brakes are pressed. This effectively removes your brake light from your turn signal, but now you have no brake lights since the switch ground goes nowhere!

3 Run a wire, starting at the brake light switch you disconnected, following the main wire harness that goes under the passenger seat to the back of the truck. I ran 17ft of 14 gauge stranded and it just made it.  (You can pick it up at ACE for about 8 bucks. I also recommend grabbing 3 wire connectors to keep everything clean.)

4. Connect the new wire you just ran to the back of the truck to both of the cut green wires on the taillights, in series.  In other words, run it to the passenger side taillight wire, and then from there, to the driver side wire. Now your brake lights only go to the 2nd bulbs from the side of the truck!

I'll post some more pics later on when I find my camera.

• Like 7
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, yea.. I guess I went above and beyond the call of duty for ownin a ratsun.

The truth is though, these trucks are so simple when you start looking into them.  This whole thing took me about 30 minutes, minus the drive to ACE to get some wire.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Amber is not illegal.

Hence the reason they are illegal in most states.

USA "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 [1968] allows rear turn signals to be either red or amber in color... amber signals show a 5.3% effectivenss in reducing involvement in two-vehicle crashes where a lead vehicle is rear-struck in the act of turn left, turning right, merging into traffic, changing lanes, or entering/leaving a parking space. The advantage of amber rear turn signals is shown to be statistically significant." -- NTSHA document.

Nevertheless, amber was slow in coming. Even in the 1990s red rear turns signals are commonplace. The Nissan Altima even changed three times, from Amber to Red to Amber and back to red.

"In Europe and many other countries, rear turn signals are required to be amber. Currently [2009], manufacturers ... [for] North American markets choose whether to produce [amber or red rear turn signals]." -- NTSHA document.