I need some carb advice plz on an 86 720

Maksun86

I recently bought an 86 720 standard cab 2wd. It has a carter carb on it. I could not find anywhere that says the made a carb for this motor. Also my fuel mileage is no where near what I expected it to be. Please help any advice is appreciated new to the nissan/datsun game thanks in advance

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum.  I wish I could help, but I'm not familiar with the later model trucks.  You've come to a good forum though, if today is like most days, you should have some good responses by the end of the day, if not within a couple hours.

The guys on here are picture whores.  To post pics:  upload pics to a host like Photobucket or something, copy the IMG code and paste the IMG code here in the text.

Kyle

Are you sure it's the carb?  Has the engine had a tune up?  Plugs, wires, cap, air filter, valve adj, oil change, coolant flush, etc??  How does the carb look?  Does the carb need to be cleaned or adjusted?

Just running down the check list before making assumptions of a bad carb.

Idk that its the carb I plan on doing all the basic tune up stuff soon all I've done is an oil change what worried me is maybe this carb isn't for this engine so maybe resulting in decreased fuel mileage and not letting it run optimum like the po has the air filter housing rigged on it doesn't fit properly over the carb and the carb has no bolt coming out of the middle of it for a wingnut just wanted to get some advice on what I should try first your feedback is greatly appreciated also sorry for no punctuation I'm posting from a phone lol

If I had to guess, I'd say the carb is not stock.  Most Nissans run Hitachi carbs.  That's not to say the carb won't work for the engine, but at this point, who knows how or what the Carter is setup for. 

If you read the many threads on here about carbs, you will get many different opinions on what carb works best.  For your application, I would go out on a limb and say;  For the money, the Weber 32/36 DGEV would be the best fit. 

If you decide you want a different carb, I would either look for a stock carb, or pick up a NEW Weber.  Don't waste your time with a used Weber.  You will likely end up with problems, time wasted, and money wasted buying a used Weber.

Here is the Weber website:

http://www.redlineweber.com/

Here is where to buy:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/Carburetor_Conversion_Kits_s/25.htm?gclid=CPaW4Mm2h7gCFU2CQgod61wAgQ

That doesn't look like an 86 Z24 factory hitachi if it's the carb'd version - judging by what's on ebay.  Maybe someone on here can I.D. it.  Or look for I.D. numbers/plate. 

I'd give the motor/drivetrain a going over like KlassicMotion said, also verify what motor you have.  See if you can work with what's there first.  Doe you need this to pass an emissions inspection?

Don't forget, he said it was a Carter Carb.

What I was getting at was, unless my memory is failing, was carter would reman a variety of carbs., I had to buy one at one time.  By getting some numbers off the carb you could figure out what carter it is, or if it's a carter at all, cfm, etc...

After looking at the picture, I see vacuum lines plugged on the carb... That's not the issue, but it crossed my mind that if someone did an unconventional carb swap, you may have  vacuum lines on the engine that are leaking, or maybe some of the important vacuum lines from the engine my be blocked off when they actually need to be hooked to something... ie. just check all your vacuum lines, etc.  I find the best way to check for vacuum leaks is to take non-chlorine Brake Parts cleaner and with the straw attached, spray around vacuum connections and on the hoses in case some are cracked.  Dont forget, power brake booster can go bad and cause vacuum leaks too.

I'm in texas so no emissions test. Ill get the numbers off the carb tonight after work and check for vacuum leaks also. On another note when I tried to drive the truck to work this morning it made it a little way down the road sputtered cut out and died multiple times before I was able to get it back home fuel filter maybe?

Wow is that coat hanger wire holding things together. :rofl:

Carter BBD for Chrysler, Jeep.  without a tag it may be difficult to figure out which exact BBD it is.  Maybe you could find out more and work with it. 

I think I'd get  a new Weber at this point, correct for your application.  First I'd verify it's a Z24 block.  I don't know the external differences off hand.  In-between the exhaust manifold runners there's is a pad on the block.  It'll have Z24 or ?

• 2 weeks later...