Datto 720 question

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3864210170.html

I saw the above post on craigslist and i'm considering trying to trade my old chevy half ton for it. My chevy runs good, but like the 720 it's getting rusty too. My main question is, is this a decent deal and are 720 reliable and capable of short tows with my race car? I know they factory says like 2000 pounds, but have any of you towed much with a720? I'm not to concerned about the rust, I cam fix that. 130,000 miles on this truck seems like a low number and I would think this truck has a lot of miles left in it.

My main interests for the swap are better fuel economy (my chevy gets 10mpg), I have tons of L series parts for repairs, and hey it's a datsun. Any input would be great.

I know you guys are gonna balk at the rust, but it's unavoidable here in the lovely state of Missouri.... Our street department loves harsh solvents and salt for snow removal.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should get well up into the 20s for mileage, less for towing.

Poor heater performance could be a bad thermostat or just a tired electrical system... nothing that a 90 amp alt swap won't cure.

Don't forget that is the asking price, you could get for less if you had 10 hundred dolla bills in your pocket when you go over to take for a ride..

I paid $400. bucks for one just a few months ago that was basically in pieces ,, to make into driveable engine test stand... And that is at the infamous dirt cheap Northwest prices... I had one in the late 80s that i bought off the highway dept and it was kinda the best of both worlds,,  dependable L and updated drive systems...

I didn`t tow much because i got T boned and after we straightend frame and welded in cab corner and new bed ) it still left two sets of tracks going down the beach..  i had put really tall 7.00x15 polyester snows and a 3 inch body lift for the mud it might incounter,, so it didn`t really have the torque to pull heavy loads at freeway speeds.,,, and mine was 2wd with a 4speed.

Car with trailer will be way over 2,000 pounds!!! I've carried close to a ton on board my 620 and it was really sluggish even with 4.375s in the back.  Short wheelbase standard cab is likely 3.889 axle. I was thinking under 1,000 pounds.

Don't try to tow even a small car with a stock 720.  A tow dolly, yes.  Upgrade to a hardbody for towing an entire car, they're much heavier and handle it much better.