Charge light is off; is regulator still bad?

KFD

Hey fellas, I suspect my V/R in my '77 280z is going. The voltmeter will spike like crazy when I rev the engine, the alternator is putting out a charge, but the battery is only reading 12 or so volts, not 13/14 like it normally should. The "Charge" light is not illuminated, the voltmeter reads, but like I say, the battery isn't getting charged...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the 77 a external volt reg or internal.

If external there will be a volt reg on the side soemwhere

If internal its IN(voltReg) the alternator.

I think Alt is bad. a Volt reg just cuts the overvoltage to 14.1DC volts or close to it

I think your alt is the proplem.

Ign light usually dont come on untill a hard failure.

looking at Rockauto.com Bevk Arnley has a 18$ volt regs But I think its the alternator.

You could have the alt pulled and ck under a load.

• Like 1

Hey banzai... The Alternator is fine. It's a few weeks old, and I checked it yesterday...

It's an external regulator. For now, I am going to get a new regulator. I just need to make a thread for my car, but all these issues I have with it are getting fixed. Now on to that pesky misfire...

Let us know whats the fix.

I just got a starter a few monsth agai and it went bad in 3 weeks. So I guess new is relative in the Aftermarket parts world(rebuilt parts)

Seems like most of the rebuilders are lacking in the quality control area...

For now I have a regulator on order, but next go round, I will look into the Eagle Premier/Dodge Monaco alternator in addition to the ZX unit. You guys have been a big help, and I should just start a thread for the car. I cleaned the plug and opened the V/R up to see if the contacts were clean, and they are... I'll report back why my findings!

If you stay with an externally regulated altrnator at least invest in a solid state unit.  The touted advantage of an electromechanical regulator is that they can be adjusted.  The down side is that they can be adjusted, so you have no idea what some prior owner/mechanic did to it.  The adjustment proceedure is a PITA.