411 SSS and 510 disc brakes

Johnlorio

Just finished a rebuild of 411 SSS disc brakes and hubs. Though rock auto and others advertise the same part numbers for the calipers and brackets I found several differences. I was lucky to have the calipers for the 411 to make it all work.

Parts that are the same:

Piston and cylinder (the important moving parts

Mounting springs for the piston and cylinder

Brake pads

Anti rattle covers

Parts that are different:

Bracket has the same outer dimensions but the hole spacing is different to fit the 510 hub. They look identical on first pass.

Rotors are same outer dimension but Bolt holes and hole for the hub are different to fit thesaller 510 hub

Caliper on the 510 is slightly longer than the 411, could be ade to work if you are willing to cut the 411 backing plate.

The keyed mounting bolt is longer note 510. Looks identical until you compare to 411

The spring loaded bracket is slightly longer on te 510 to match the caliper.

Again on first glance they look identical. Until one actually tries to use the 510 hardware.

John

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know, thanks for posting. I went with roadster hub and rotor with volvo callipers. if I hadn't found these ready to go for a 411 this info would have been vital to my stopping power.

Thanks again.

John,

Here's a question: are the inlets on the piston cylinders really 3/8"-24, like on the 411, or are they actually m10-1.0? 

Since either will screw into the other and seem like a good fit, this is sort of a question only a thread gauge can answer. 

Jesse. 

Wow I didn't know that was possible. I will get a thread gage and compare. I had new steel braided hoses made up (PECO in albuquerque does a good job) but I haven't fitted them yet. I will check and update.

Drat. I think the 510 inlets on the cylinders are metric M10-1.0. I don't havea thread gage but I stopped at autozone and picked up a 3/8-24 and a M10-1.0 adapters. The metric one threaded in beautifully all the way and the English unit hung up about 3 turns in. Now I need to have the hoses remade.

Great catch Jfbrink. Thanks.

John, 

If you have easy access to the new caliper pistons, do you think you could measure the diameter and height of one? I mean, really measure to +/- .001"? 

According to what I've found, the new Centric piston (P/N 14651009) is +.005" in diameter and -.435" in height. I'm worried about that -.435".

Since I just need pistons, I'd rather grab them without the non-fitting caliper frames and metric-thread bodies. 

Thanks,

Jesse. 

Jesse

I have a rebuild kit and my old piston cylinders. The rebuild includes new pistons that appear to be within a few thos. of the current ones in my old cylinders. Do you have any interest in the old cylinders anda rebuild kit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow. Just got my disc brakes installed and what a difference from the faded front drums. The steel braided hoses make a huge difference in brake feel. PECO here in Albuquerque fabbed them for me and they fit nicely. I'm stopping a lot better now.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Just got my disc brakes installed and what a difference from the faded front drums. The steel braided hoses make a huge difference in brake feel. PECO here in Albuquerque fabbed them for me and they fit nicely. I'm stopping a lot better now.

Hi,

so what exactly did you have to do to make this work? i have a 66 P411 wagon and have been reading up on doing a disc conversion. i can get all of the 510 parts fine, but finding the 411 parts is the hard part!!

Pretty easy once I had the SSS spindles and brackets. I believe you could easily make the 510 calipers work with a little filing. You may be able to fab a bracket for the drum brake spindles, I'll have to look and compare them.