Pulling L20b Block from engine bay

510SSS

Alright, I have everything disconnected. I now wamt to pull my engine block. I have an engine hoist, and the transmission is disconnected.

However, the oil pan is still on. I do have a large chain to wrap around the engine, but I am afraid it will crush the pan. Do you guys have any tips or tricks on removing the engine without damaging the oil pan/pickup in the process?

-Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolt the chain to the block through the manifold bolts - or if the head is gone, maybe through the cylinder head bolts. If the chain isn't bolted the block will be likely to slip and fall and cause you major trouble. AutoZone and probably other car part stores will loan you a lifting chain for free.

if head still on theres a bolt hole behind the fuel pump. I also use this as a grond for the battery. Usually there would be a engine pully bracket. I have a few at home

then the other lift point would be the rear intake or exhause bolt by fire wall driver side.

I also jack the trans up a little to help angle it.

if 4 speed trans theres a lower inspection plate people forget to pull off.

I usually pull the water pump to help clean but 510 are alot EZer than 521s

if head off I use the head bolts thru the chain loop or a D ring

It has been awhile since I've pulled a 510 engine, but am I correct in remembering it is necessary to jack up the rear of the car, and (maybe) drop the rear of the tranny a little bit? There is something about getting the rear of the block out from under the firewall and away from the tranny input shaft, while getting above the front cross member. Maybe it is only a problem if the head is on the block. Or I may be thinking of pulling the engine and trans together. Anyone with a better memory than me can correct me I'm sure.

Len

Thanks for the help guys, was kinda a bitch to get out. I just screwed in 4 bolts to the corners of the block. Then I wrapped two chain loops on each side of the engine. Then i but wood blocks between the chain loops and the block to brace it. I then made another chain loop attached to my engine hoist hook, then I looped both chains through the other chain so it was all pulled up from the center. Then I jacked up the transmission and shook the engine around so that it seperated from the tranny. I was then able to lift the engine free, by pulling from all four corners like this there is no way you can damage the oil pan. A good tip is to use the strong alternator mount bolts to chain to that way you dont have to worry about them shearing off. =)

It is great you got it out. Life would be easier if Nissan had engineered in just a little more room around the firewall in a 510, but it isn't too bad. It just occurred to me the next time I pull an engine or tranny or something I don't do often, I need to do a vid, so I can play it back later and see what I did. I sure can't remember anything. Of course it would be a long vid since my wrenching is lots of trial and error before I get anything apart.

Once I was pulling the L20b from a 610 out in a field with my engine hoist on top of a sheet of 3/4" plywood. When I got the engine up, I had to wheel the hoist away from the car (which couldn't be rolled backward). I got part way back and the hoist and engine tipped over sideways. Luckily there was another hulk car beside to catch it. I was able to rest the engine on the hulk enough to reposition the engine hoist and I finally got it. I wish I had a vid of that fun day. I think the temp that afternoon was in the 90s to make it more fun. And the L20b turned out to have a spun rod bearing when I got it home and apart.

Len