Wiper Blades

Ok so I have the original wiper arms and blade holders but the rubber portion is shot.  I just got a washer bottle but aint got nothing to wipe with.  

Where can I buy just the rubber refill?

I tried to search but there is a lot of confusion about squeegees and wiper blades (I would consider "squeegees" the roll down rubber)  

I do not want to buy the black plastic universal blades you get at vato zone, just want the black rubber strip you slide into the holder.   I live in AZ so its not urgent but I want to be able to say everything on my car 'works' and blades is on the list

Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better off to get new complete wiper blades. Refills have a tendecy to not fit properly and slide out. Plus, they are not that much cheaper. And forget the Autozoneor any other parts store... GO TO WALMART! They are half the price!

Last time I looked one 'good' wiper is $18. There is a tendency to be lazy and just get the cheap plastic POS ones that clip onto the arms. I can't believe the prices. NAPA had rubber refills for $3 but you need the original holders. This is what I did but yes you have to do a small amount of work. They work just asgood as the $7 to $18 ones too. Oh AND I have the original holders with the small wing to help hold them to the glass at speed. Makes my purist heart happy to see an old Datsun without plastic blades.

I never liked the double blades, christ I saw tripple blades once... retarded.

$18 for "good" ones? HELL NO! And $7.00 for PLASTIC? Is that EACH or for a pair? Where the heck have you been shopping? I got all metal framed RainX wipers from Walmart for my truck for only $6 each. Looks good, fit perfect, and wipes clean because they hug the windsheild. Had for almost a year now and just starting to chatter a little. So those are "good ones" to me! My idea of "really good ones" is Bosch, which is OEM on most cars. Walmart has those for only $9.00 each. Parts stores want $10-15 for blades each. Nah, uh... NOT TODAY!

And what is so great about the original wipers?  Being a purist is cool and all, but on wiper blades that's just silly! They don't look any different. Then again, my original blades were probably tossed out decades ago. The cheap Anco ones on my truck when I bought it didn't even have the squegee part of the rubber anymore, just flat.

Yeah Mrs.D got them for her old Plymouth. $18 a piece and they were and wore no better than the others. Most plastic ones are $8 or so each. Yes you can get cheaper ones. On my 710, I kept the original blade holders and just slid in new rubber. $3 does both sides and they work as good as her $18 ones did.

Last time I looked one 'good' wiper is $18. There is a tendency to be lazy and just get the cheap plastic POS ones that clip onto the arms. I can't believe the prices. NAPA had rubber refills for $3 but you need the original holders. This is what I did but yes you have to do a small amount of work. They work just asgood as the $7 to $18 ones too. Oh AND I have the original holders with the small wing to help hold them to the glass at speed. Makes my purist heart happy to see an old Datsun without plastic blades.

I never liked the double blades, christ I saw tripple blades once... retarded.

$18 for "good" ones? HELL NO! And $7.00 for PLASTIC? Is that EACH or for a pair? Where the heck have you been shopping? I got all metal framed RainX wipers from Walmart for my truck for only $6 each. Looks good, fit perfect, and wipes clean because they hug the windsheild. Had for almost a year now and just starting to chatter a little. So those are "good ones" to me! My idea of "really good ones" is Bosch, which is OEM on most cars. Walmart has those for only $9.00 each. Parts stores want $10-15 for blades each. Nah, uh... NOT TODAY!

And what is so great about the original wipers?  Being a purist is cool and all, but on wiper blades that's just silly! They don't look any different. Then again, my original blades were probably tossed out decades ago. The cheap Anco ones on my truck when I bought it didn't even have the squegee part of the rubber anymore, just flat.

okay, two very conflicting opinions and info... this is why I created this topic.  

I have the original silver holders, with the little wing.  I think those are cool.  I want refills for them, just the little rubber stripe you slide in. even though they will probably dry out in the AZ sun before they see any real rain, and wont be efficient, I want them because I just got a washer bottle and need at least something to wipe with.  I already rainx my windshield.  The cheese original wipers fit my semi-oem build and will serve their purpose better than they are serving now off the car.

Thanks for answering my original question Mike, i will check napa, even though I though I already checked.  

All else fails I will get some cheepo rock auto blades and paint them silver  :sick:

I like the orginal wipers with the blades. But got rid of them. I remember Nissan actually had them on the wall.

Out of the Bosche serie I notice they had the blade replacement but the ones I got didnt fit as they were 2 size thickness that slide in to the arm. I got tired of figureing which is which.

Thus buying the PAKAGE DEAL from rockauto

My Jeep Cherokee you can replace the wiper rubber a couple times but the tab that holds it in is going to break thus getting whole new arms anyways

When I first got my 510, it was like the PO was afraid to replace anything.  The wipers were all torn up, and wipers are a necessity in the Willamette Valley.  I still have the stock wipers, and I want to keep it that way.  I'm a bit of a purist, and trying to make a 510 look more like a new car just ain't right IMO.  ...black trim, newer looking mirrors, black bumpers...

I went down to a Bi-Mart to pick up cartridge refills a few years back.  I doubt there's a Bi-Mart in Arizona?  Anyway, I used to work at a Bi-Mart when I was in college, so I knew that they had just the rubber inserts, and they carry Trico products.  The 16" Trico inserts fit perfectly.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/Trade/WiperProducts/MoreProducts/WiperRefills

Fast forward to a few months ago - I went back to Bi-Mart to pick up the same refills, and I learned that the same Trico inserts now have the wrong metal piece around the rubber.  The new refills don't fit, so I took the old wiper out and then slid the rubber out of the metal piece.  I swapped the new rubber back into the old metal piece and voila.  Back to normal.

I'm with Mike.  The old wipers (with new rubber) work perfectly, so why would anything work any better?  I've never had a problem with the stock setup except for the speed of the wipers, which have two settings:  slow and slightly slower.  Now I just need to replace the windshield seal so I don't have water pooling up on the floorboards.

Feel super silly as to how easy this was, shouldn't even have made a post about it. Now that I did I might as well follow up.

Went to O'reily and asked for 16" refills, paid for them, and they easily slid in my OE arms.  For some reason I was expecting to have a hard time finding the blades for sale anywhere, that I was going to have to cut up rubber strips and insert, adjust, and mess with them a whole bunch.  Quite the contrary.  Anyone who needs datsun blades: just go to any FLAPS and ask for 16" Trico refills. I got the teflon coated ones and I think I paid 8  bucks for a pair.

Also as to washer bottle: I still need to get some vinyl tubing to run from the pump to the spray nozzles, but heres a shot of the modified truck washer pump. Got the little pump for free so thought I would just make it work.  Had to heat up the tubing to stretch it over the larger inlet nipple, but it doesnt leak.  Also had to swap the wiring, but that was only two solder joints.

smolrT4.jpg

Old blades.  Also note old washer pump motor in upper right; you can see why I needed a new one.

wYeLjlg.jpg

New:D

Fp032Lt.jpg

thanks everyone!

• 7 years later...

Revisiting an old topic in case anyone stumbles across it like I did.. Just bought these for my 521 and they fit like a glove! Didn't have to swap out the rubber, as the entire arm popped right in. 

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/153391.html

Fit like a glove and looks great. 

P.S. Been creeping Ratsun for a few years now, great community! 

• Thanks 1

Not bad looking! I detest the dual and triple and the colored plastic ones. I buy just the rubber refills and change only that. Used to be $4 a pair and trim to length. Getting hard to find. Amazon has $6.70 each so that's about right. Paid $20 last summer for a pair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1