Carpets or seat upholstery available anywhere for 521?

Willdatsun

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carpets?  See JCWhitney.com.  Door to door and firewall to seat back.  Don't know if VAT and international shipping would price this out of practicality. 

Seats, best to have a professional do them if you have the cash or sign up for the UK equivalent Adult Education Upholstery class, that's what I did.  You would be surprised how little skill and experience it takes to duplicate factory seat upholstery!  My 1967 411 sedan was 25 years old when I reupholstered it and the factory foam padding on the seats was in perfect shape, looked like the day it left the factory.  Didn't need to replace any of it, still have the replacement bulk foam I bought not knowing the condition of the originals.  The classroom instructor was amazed at the pristine condition of the foam.  May you have equal luck, the air in Sussex can't be worse on foam than the Los Angeles basin air quality or lack therof.

Unfortunately, when my truck was container shipped from USA, they had it up at a steep angle and the steering box emptied itself all over the seat via the steering column, ruining the entire seat, the foam, the vinyl and the coconut hair stuff. Its annoying as i asked them to take care that this specific thing didn't happen, they ignored my instructions :(

A quote from a local upholsterer was around $850. So far the shippers, (West Coast Shipping) have refused to pay anything and I don't know what I can do other than try to find a cheaper way to repair the seat.

Are those carpets from JC really tailor fit for 521? There were some strange options on the site like 4x4 and bucket seats.

850.00 shit talk Bout rip off,first off go buckets or send to America to get redone and send back to you for a lot less,my guy local will do a seat for 185.00 cloth and vinyl.Second do not get the J C Whitney carpet kit I have one in my red truck and it is garbage,it's a waste of money,if money is a issue get speaker box carpet and lay that down,it can stretch and conform to corners well and it is cheap,I do have a factory floor mat in great shape,it has one cut by the back side to the shifter hole from when I put the 5 speed in,it also has the snaps on all the corners.

Sucks. There was a guy offering to trim peoples seats on here but people can no longer reply to the old classifieds thread, so I don't know if it went ahead and what peoples feedback was from it if they got any covers supplied and/or fitted.

1aauto come up on a google search '. L521 Seat Cover Sets ... All car and truck seat upholstery kits come with hog rings and pliers .' but it seems like they have keyword spammed and they don't actually do them at all!

I have approached Acme who do stuff for several different makes, I have asked them if they could make some covers if they had some guaranteed orders so it might be worth getting a list together on here of people who'd buy one if they made them.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much everything is expensive in England, houses, gas . Put some gas in the 521 today its $9.27 a gallon (i'm converting it to $ for y'all) . That means materials are expensive and labour is expensive. Here's what my seat base looks like at the moment, its soaked in oil due to a dumb-ass shipping company putting the truck up at a steep angle for a few weeks so the steering box oil came up the column and poured into the seat, carpet and seatbelts.

521seat2.jpg