Weird engine noise...HELP

jastrunk97

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have someone spin motor by hand while you look at teeth on flywheel .. Do you have the plate between the engine and trans in place?

By the way your engine once running ,, runs like a frickin top!! :thumbup:

It only makes the noise while I'm turning the key, once it starts it sounds great! And its always done it. I pulled the motor out last year and when I put it back in and all together it sounded fine, then it got worse and worse, It just recently got really bad.

My truck makes a weird grinding noise when starting. 

th_VIDEO0017_zpsca7f4f43.jpg

Counting the brake lines I don't see clutch line. You can access the torque converter bolts but not the flex plate to crank bolts.

I am going to put the starter back in tonight or tomorrow, pull the plugs to see if it makes the noise under non compression strokes. 

Did you have the flywheel off?

Check that the transmission to block mounting bolts are tight.

I never had the flex plate off and il check them when im home tonight.

Counting the brake lines I don't see clutch line. You can access the torque converter bolts but not the flex plate to crank bolts.

Why would the torque converter cause this noise if they were loose? 

Sometimes they come loose. 

First, check your bell housing bolts. Make sure they are tight.  Make sure you have the little plate between the trans and the block.

Second, pull your starter out.  Look at the teeth on the flex plate, and the starter.  See if those are rubbing together or getting smashed together from the starter not releasing.  Grab the flex plate and see if it moves back and forth. It should flex a little but not really flop around or make a clank noise when you move it back / forth (dont try and spin it, move it from front to back, wiggle it good make sure the flex plate bolts are not loose)

Third, Jack your car up and secure it with jack stands.  Pull the trans access cover off.  I use a socket on the crank pulley bolt to spin the motor around slowly. Your fan might hit the socket but its fine...  Anyways, spin the motor around and check to make sure the four bolts that secure the flex plate to the torque converter and nice and snug.  Its hard to get an actual reading with a torque wrench, but what I did was use a stubby wrench and a 5lb sledge.  I didn't go to tight, but I made sure they wouldn't come out :lol:

Do these, report back.