re indexing control arm bushings after lowering

DotSoon

i read a "how to" somewhere are cant find it again.  im researching the process of lowering my 720kc and would like to know how to re index the control arm bushings up front after a torsion bar drop up front.

thanks in advance. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't do anything to the control arm bushings, you re-index the torsion bars themselves.

You mark the arm/torsion bar where it inserts into arm on the rear side of the LCA(lower control arm) so you know where it's at before removing the torsion bar, then you pull the torsion bar from the arm and re-insert one or two teeth up depending on how low you want, that way when you tighten the torsion bar, the truck won't be as high when you get to where the rear arm was originally set.

This is an over all general description of what needs to be done, both sides should be done the same.

Cranking up the torsion bars is like jacking the car up and running out of jack. Re indexing the bar is like placing a block of wood under the jack to give you more range of movement. (did wat I say make any sense?)

• Like 1

Where the torsion bars are indexed stock, you can move the truck say... down three inches, or up 1-2... If you re-index them, pull them out and change their spline location... You can lowering it 5-6 inches, or if indexed the other way, raise it 5-6....

Get it?

Where the torsion bars are indexed stock, you can move the truck say... down three inches, or up 1-2... If you re-index them, pull them out and change their spline location... You can lowering it 5-6 inches, or if indexed the other way, raise it 5-6....

Get it?

thank you all for the info... so if i only want 3 inches of drop in the front all i need to do is crank on the torsion bar and put some blocks in the rear.  and get an alignment of course.

thank you all for the info... so if i only want 3 inches of drop in the front all i need to do is crank on the torsion bar and put some blocks in the rear.  and get an alignment of course.

Basically yes, but if the torsion bar arms start hanging below the frame when you find the desired height, then that would be the reason to re-index them, as you don't want them hitting the ground.