l20b rebuild

james610

havent been on here in a while but i just bought a 72' 521 w/ a L20b that came w/ oversized pistons that i need to install.

i am planning on installing the pistons/rings the privious owner purchased & replacing bearings, waterpump, & oil pump is there any thing else i should replace?

they are ACL pistons, any good?

new piston dimentions:

type: RA2656     oversized: 0.75   recommended clearance measured @ bottom: 0.025

i attached a pic of the head, is it a stock l20b head? 

WP_000597_zps661b1d6d.jpg

heres the piston tech sheet:

techsheet_zps218d56bb.jpg

WP_000600_zpsef59d7cb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from that photo we cannot tell if that head 'came with' the l20 or not.

if you showed us the underside of it and/or the number on the side of the head, then we can tell.

pretty much you can use any head on any of the 4 cylinder Ls,

but some will raise or lower compression

give all the oil and water passages a good cleaning.

clean all thread holes, especially those for the head bolts.

a new head can be had for cheap. i suggest you do some research yourself into the different heads and

their positives & negatives, unless some kind soul comes in here and gives that info to you.

but the point is to eventually work yourself up to be self sufficient.

the problem with switching to another head is that if the exhaust ports are square, then it would obviously

be BEST to run an exhaust manifold with square ports as well. which means you would have to spend

money on an exhaust manifold.

if i were you, i feel the smartest thing to do would be to run with the head you currently have, (dont even rebuild it,)

source another, used head, rebuild that and also source an exhaust mani if needed.

i have been work on my motor got everything pretty much together but i want to replace my water pump, every store i have tried only has a new water pump w/ a fan clutch, which i dont need, my current pump doesnt have a clutch...  wat year & model car/truck comes w/ a l20b w/o a fan clutch?  please let me know, this is the last part i need and i can drop my motor in.. thanks...

ok a post a pic tomorrow...

also wat kind of power increase should i get expect w/ the new pistons?

Its a compression increase,we can only guess at the power, dyno tells no lies. About the head, show me its holes! (Intake/exhaust) and ill take a stab at a guess :) nah, I won't , but show me anyway, lol

Its a compression increase,we can only guess at the power, dyno tells no lies. About the head, show me its holes! (Intake/exhaust) and ill take a stab at a guess :) nah, I won't , but show me anyway, lol

i would send a pic but i have everything together so i cant take a pic

i have been work on my motor got everything pretty much together but i want to replace my water pump, every store i have tried only has a new water pump w/ a fan clutch, which i dont need, my current pump doesnt have a clutch...  wat year & model car/truck comes w/ a l20b w/o a fan clutch?  please let me know, this is the last part i need and i can drop my motor in.. thanks...

1970 521 is what you want...