D21 Rescued From the Crusher

I had to save this little gem from the crusher, it's an 89 Z24 with the weird fuel injection, 5 speed.

Plans are just to clean it up and splash of white paint, maybe som 18 inch Titans ( of course ) lower it a bit , it has to be zero zero budget , it's bad enough it's taking time and resourse's from blue thunder.
Passenger door and rocker are bashed in and the box is rough, head board needs to be fixed .

so this is what's happened so far 

IMG_3739_zps1a8ac621.jpg
IMG_3744_zps562dc228.jpg
IMG_3743_zps643a5c18.jpg
IMG_3746_zpsd7fbbd0f.jpg
IMG_3753_zpsa14c2616.jpg
IMG_3750_zpsca87d36d.jpg
IMG_4289_zps35b3a7ca.jpg
IMG_3760_zps3afa8370.jpg
IMG_4298_zps27de8d34.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes she runs great , new brakes and head gasket, timing chain, oil pump,new CD player, has about 300 km's.

Quick fibreglass job on the box inner fenders, turned out decent. trying to find some time to do the body work and splash some new paint on.

IMG_4304_zps4effdcb5.jpg
IMG_4303_zpsf4b7bd65.jpg
IMG_4307_zps2118b468.jpg
IMG_4308_zps9fdc44cc.jpg
IMG_4309_zpsed763e0c.jpg
IMG_4310_zpse8da3ac8.jpg

A few more shots of the progress , going to spray it next Saturday, got my buddy coming by to check it out , he is a professional custom Yacht painter, I am not trying to make this thing perfect .......just white.

But I want to learn so Blue Thunder turns out awsome.
IMG_4339_zpsbb937fc4.jpg
IMG_4341_zpsc9d89db9.jpg
IMG_4343_zpse318c899.jpg
IMG_4344_zpsbce59b7c.jpg
IMG_4349_zpsbb96f6d8.jpg

Hi  ..................ah that door was totally hatched, I had to put a used one on, it's allmost ready, still have to gravel guard the inside of the box and some more frigin sanding !!!!!! 

How can a little truck make so much dust !!!!!

IMG_4353_zps71d35291.jpg

Hi Rocket Dog

Well fibreglass is the easy and fast way to fix this type of problem, of course welding in new metal would be way better in the long haul, but on this box it would be a huge job, be cheaper to find a better box.

I am just trying to clean this truck up for as little as possible,give it a new lease on life , light duty use the fibreglass will last a couple of years ish. it took a couple of hours to do , welding would have been days.

I had one of these older one regular cab used it for work had really bad wiring that someone messed up, almost 300,000 miles, and primer paint job but it was torquey little truck. I ended up rolling it after going a little to fast into a turn and came out walking with the roof caved in, it still started right up man I miss that little truck.

Looking good if I don't say so myself , just got back from the auto wreckers with a decent front bumper, the original was chrome and not very happy.

I switched the grill for a 91 but the corner lights are different so looking for the right ones or we modify something to make the old ones fit nice.
I picked up a black one from a Pathgrinder, so I will have to repaint it and the one for the back.
Man this truck is sooooooooo good on gas !!!!!! got to love it !!!!.

IMG_4462_zpsa9160218.jpg

IMG_4461_zpsb0074e0a.jpg

IMG_4460_zps731185b7.jpg

IMG_4459_zpsa70fee3c.jpg

Hi

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the positive coments, just wish i had more time to surf through all the builds, there is so much cool stuff that inspires me on this site, and Bob you are just amazing I love the MX520. we have a Miata as well awesome car.

It's kinda funny when I started my 720 build I named its computer folder project 1020 , a 300ZX and a 720 pickup, add them together and ya get 1020 .

I will post the pics with the bumpers & corner lights on as soon as there done.

Thanks again

Fast720

getting closer to being done ......................it's always something !!!!!!

Bumper brackets are not the same , couldn't get them off so I cut the ends off and swapped them.
typical it's not finished and it's got a load of stuff to go to the dump already, ah Datsuns always working !!!!!

IMG_4466_zps09226db2.jpg
IMG_4468_zpscb493172.jpg
IMG_4475_zps04700215.jpg
IMG_4477_zpsffe1138c.jpg
IMG_4479_zpsed844724.jpg

Hi

the center caps are cheap !!!! got them at an RV & trailer place , they were $3.95 ea , had to wrap some tape around them so the fit inside the wheels better but cheap !!!!!

make sure you wax them the chrome isnt very good  ( Made in China) the dimise of North America, they rusted in 2 months with no salt on the roads !!!!!