ok guys, im keepin the chop top, but have ???s

sethris

i tried the search feature, but could seem to get it to work for me. my question is can the 720 dash and airconditioning be used on my 72 620? i love the little truck, but im in eastern nc, and the heat/humidity here is insane! i cant live with a/c. any insight would be great. i have several 720's in the u pull it yards near me i could rape!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did put a 720 dash in my '78 including the heater and the fan assy which mounts over by the pass kick panel. There is a plastic accordion hose between them where an air conditioner unit would fit. Now the down side.

This was an insane idea but with great results even so. The air inlet in the middle of the 620 plenum has to be closed off and a new one opened up behind and above the glove box and the fan assembly mounted below it. But first the wiper motor has to be removed to make room for it. I re-located the wiper outside the cab where the wiper linkages are. The much larger 720 heater assy sits more or less on the floor and is secured up under the dash with the controls under the bottom center just ahead of the shifter. I installed a 4X4 console as well and it looks alright. I swapped the 620 harness for a 720 so all heater plugs fit, but this requires installing the 15 fuse fuse box on the driver's kick panel as well. Any 720 4X4 oil pressure sender will allow the use of the 4X4 oil pressure gage. The engine temp and gas gages are compatible with the 720 gages. If you have the 720 in dash tach and clock, these will work too.

Here's the dash gages. The '80-'83 aren't as nice, this is the '84-'86.5 . The clock and tach are options, speedo Canadian metric. It's out of a 4X4 so the little indicator to the left of the hi beams lights up when in four wheel.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/620stuff003Large.jpg[/img]"]620stuff003Large.jpg

Here's the heater controls above the 4X4 oil pressure and volts gages.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/620stuff001Large-1.jpg[/img]"]620stuff001Large-1.jpg

It was a daunting task to make it work and if all you want is air con I would suggest getting a 620 system and swapping it in as it was made to fit. I believe some were dealer installed and some were factory so there will be differences between them.

Maybe a 720 fan assy and an air con unit could be mounted in the box and just the cool air piped into the cab? Kind of ratsun but lot less work. Run plumbing under floor.

You know, the subject of airconditioning (and in Arizona, it's kinda' important) has given Me thought to a few options. Naturally, I like EASY, so changing all that stuff around (720 into 620) would not be something that I would try. On My fourdoor dually project, the cab did NOT come with a heater from Nissan. Also, no air conditioning. Now I could install another 620 heater but wait... there is a BUNCH of room under the back seat where just about anything could be installed. Couple with that the thought of a loss of horsepower with compressors, belts and such, I have given thought to a Vintage Air type of system. Both heater and airconditioning are combined. The units are made easy for ANY guy (even Me) to install. The price isn't too out of hand and It's NEW. Nothing old or parts that could go bad. I still haven't decided on an exact model but maybe this would solve Your problem. Also, isn't there now a setup that Volkswagen owners are installing? Any of You guys ever install units of those types in a vehicle??

its cool, i thought i saw somewhere about a 720 dash working in a 620. i never see any like mine in the yards. i know of 6 or8 720's in the yards here that have ac and i was hoping to do a swap and have ac. but ill keep looking for info. thanks!

Glad to hear your keeping the Truck:cool:! As steroid mentioned there is Aftermarket suppliers such as "Vintage Air" that would build you a Personal Kit:) But for a Hefty $$$! Most Older local Airconditioning shops could do a "Kit" as well, This was real popular for American Cars that didn't have factory Air, Dont know if they would tackle an import, But the concept is the same:)!

I had an Old Firestone Thermocooler on my Chevy back in the day and it worked quite well...But it was primarily for looks than for comfort.