Dual SU carburetors with intake manifold

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the deal, i thought i was going to be competing to buy these but no one else has bit yet?

after extensive research, almost picked these up today, here is some amplifying info for you guys

the Carbs are 38mm Hitachi flat tops, HJL38W. which came with the SSS18 (not available in america.)

dont get THESE flat tops confused with the 'supposedly shitty' flat tops that came on early Z cars.

these carbs are great for street performance, specifically for L16 and L18s.

Stephen is selling them because he's running a L20 and needs/wants something thatll breathe

better for his application, which is what is recommended when it comes to these carbs and the

ONLY reason i didnt buy them (truck currently has a stock L16, but i have a freshly machined L20

standing by, with thoughts of a stroked/bored L23)

the intake manifold is the K14, also not available in the US.

some will say that the K14 mani is the less desirable of the SU manifolds, because they came with

emissions hook ups and shit, but once those are plugged up/etc, which looks like the case here,

the K14 isnt bad.

These probably have never been run here in N Am. If they had, the large screw on the back of the rear flattop would have been removed and plugged. Behind the flattops there is an adjustment screw seen here with a rubber pipe to the other one.

BC9B17A7-E2B7-4A82-96DA-6722DDE66065-222

These are usually removed and the triangular plate below covered with a block off plate or the tubes simply JB welded up. I'm not sure what that adjustment does... perhaps to lean the idle out? Who knows. I was told the very late L16SSS also had the flattops and K14 manifold. Maybe that's what I have as I don't have that metal fuel rail?across the back but is otherwise identical.

The emissions stuff still being on there doesn't mean they haven't been run in America mike. Just last month I found a truck in the junkyard running flat tops with all the emissions still intact and very very used. But these carbs do appear to be clean and possibly in serviceable condition. Glws

the intake manifold is the K14, also not available in the US.

some will say that the K14 mani is the less desirable of the SU manifolds, because they came with

emissions hook ups and shit, but once those are plugged up/etc, which looks like the case here,the K14 isnt bad

Basically 2 0ptions for L4 SUs......220 or the K14

K14 is the better of the two

PC260032.jpg

airhorn2.jpg

SuSu.jpg

46s

PC240029.jpg

SUcarblinkage2.jpg

GLWS....bump.... :)

its funny that all of yall chimed in, because most the things i learned about this shit was from alla yall, and a few random sites (euro sites, some aussie sites, etc)

oh and Stephen was RUNNING these. they came with his 510, but wanted a bigger carb so took em off.

oh and Stephen was RUNNING these. they came with his 510, but wanted a bigger carb so took em off.

Bigger carbs.....???....should of slapped some 46s on the K14.

Then.... fine tune some needles to the appropriate profile(s)../..A/F ratios.......win....sort of......lol

P4170003_zpsaa65ea91.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.