720 Charging System Issue (z24)

Jdm720

Installed the new starter Friday, all good with that now. Turns out that the one I had was the OG one, Nissan stamped and everything. I'm gonna hand it to a friend to get that one rebuilt.

Aaaannnd I'm getting back down to 12V when running more often now, and no power to ANYthing when the engine is not running... This issue is coming and going.

Sonofabitch..

EDIT: Oil pressure switch connection was exposed and grounding out, illuminating my indicator. Repaired the connection, oil pressure reading good and no more light.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaannnd I'm getting back down to 12V when running more often now, and no power to ANYthing when the engine is not running... This issue is coming and going.

Sonofabitch..

Check your BLACK fuseable link. Or where it connects to the ignition switch White/Black stripe.

Only 4 wires to/from the ignition switch.

Black/Red stripe is the start signal to the starter solenoid.

Black/White is power from the fusible link at the battery positive terminal

White/Blue is the power to the coil in START and  RUN key positions

White/Red is power to the fuse box in the ACCESSORY and RUN positions

Could also be the ignition switch too.

With key off you should read 12 volts on the Black/White wire. Engine running 14+ volts.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, I gave the fusible link another look... Looked fine, so I went a little further down the wire. Cracked it open and it was decently corroded. Shit.

Repaired the wire, slapped some new terminals on there. Bam, 14+. Power to everything now.

So far voltage has been holding. I'm confident that's that.

However, every now and then I'll still get some flat spots in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. It really sucks when I'm trying to get up to speed on the freeway. 

Gotta check out the relay when I get some time.