talk me out of it!

i got quoted at maaco for $1500 to do the cheapest paint job -.- fuck that. rattle can is what im thinking. he wanted to charge me $600 to pull the dent out of my fender and another $300 for working on the rust. he even said that the rust might not go away. 

pretty set on spray painting my 510 wagon now.

guess im asking for some people to tell me why i shouldnt go this route, i would rather leave the car the way it is then pay $1500 to paint it. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rattle can it, or find a compressor and extra tank on CL, run a hose from the compressor tank to the extra tank to fill it, then a hose from that tank to a HVLP gun and spray it yourself.

I don't see paying $1500 for paint on my Dattos, atleast not until I am finished with all of the mechanical stuff, and we all know that never happens.

Edit: on a side note, I just finished rattle canning a horribly striped hood and cowl and it looks decent from 20ft. Maybe if I wasn't completely shit faced by the time I got to paint it would look better. As it is I didn't get all of the paint off and the hood is sorta blotchy, so I don't suggest drinking + working with fuel (had to fix carb) + working with striper before paint :P

• Like 4
Guest 510kamikazifreak

I don't see paying $1500 for paint on my Dattos, atleast not until I am finished with all of the mechanical stuff, and we all know that never happens.

Decent materials cost this and more alone, an NO way would I recommend maaco

i would have to do this at my buddies place, sense i live in a apartment haha such a pain! ill look in to the hvlp stuffs. 

repeat picture, havnt taken much cause there isnt much to look at yet lol xD 

0321132318_zpscc68bd23.jpg

0321132318a_zps9c036e8c.jpg

0321132318b_zps4de05a63.jpg

took those the day i bought it, so like a month or so ago. 

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Spraycan (rattle pack) it panel by panel and spend the money you save on lap dances and beers.

Then do it all over again in a year or so,win win..well the lap dance would be and the beer too

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

Maybe, but I don't plain on using top line stuff. I'm going to use hot rod flatz once I get around to painting my 620.

Yeh, 

if you take it to bare metal etc(even small spots) you should metal prep and etch prime. to start,then with primer coat,,fillers,blah blah. all depends on the end product you want.

Personally, I like to do things, nice not twice(but thats just me)

:thumbup:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

The cost of real paint and primer alone will be pushing $300.  and then you will still need everything mentioned above,, plus a respirator..

Thats maybe a Nason brand paint?

Guest 510kamikazifreak

I see what you mean though.. it's not cheap. If you want cheap roll house paint on it.. 

:sneaky:

I am in thr process of trying to rent an equipped show(as we speak,I am waiting on an email from the owner of one)

So I can do the grey car this year..If its a go,Canby will be no go..this year

Nooooooooooo!O!!O!Oo1o1O!O!!

:sneaky:

I am in thr process of trying to rent an equipped show(as we speak,I am waiting on an email from the owner of one)

So I can do the grey car this year..If its a go,Canby will be no go..this year

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Nooooooooooo!O!!O!Oo1o1O!O!!

I know,but I really want the car done this year,this shop is available..If I can in some way pull it off(Canby) trust me I will

well shit now that i think of it, i believe my uncle has all the hvlp stuffs. he painted his grechin or whatever it is. big ass work van/truck thing. i might have to ask him if i go that route now... my bud has a compressor already anyway. hmmmmm. in a different post someone told me to go with rustoleum, the pictures i saw looked like it turns or very nice. i just dont have any skillz lol 

You don`t need skills,,, just remember to keep moving and bend your legs.

We are in the process of painting one of my sons cars and it is very time consuming and expensive to just do a half ass good job.