Orange part needed

Steroid

OK, this is going to sound like a strange request, but I need to correctly color match to the stock 1974 620 orange color. Does anybody on here have some kind've small, not too faded, orange part? Such as a gas filler door or an orange tailgate handle, something like that, that I could borrow to take to the paint store? Anything small that could fit in a bubblewrap bag or small priority box. If You need it returned, I will pay shipping both ways.

Maybe someone actually knows a Dupont (or other brands) ACCURATE Datsun paint code number. Help please!!

Wasn't 1974 the FIRST year of orange trucks? I know once before that We mentioned years on colors, but I don't remember any 1973 orange trucks. Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/620stuff001Large.jpg[/img]"]620stuff001Large.jpg

Sorry mike, I thought I could help but the paint code is faded away. Someone has a color code chart on here. I've seen it posted. Something about Seafoam Green being a fairly rare color on 620s. Datsunaholic replied I think.

I just went through all of this with my 74 620. You are in luck if it is the same orange. My truck had the original factory paint on most of it except the doors. I went to Sherwin Williams for some paint and info. I took in my paint code from my radiator support and after some searching he said he could not find a match that old. I went outside and took off my gas door so they could use the "electronic eye" that they put on the surface and it matches the paint. The first "try" it said it was silver! :lol: After some more f in around an older guy came up and said it would not find a match that old. He asked me for my paint code again and after some diggin came up with it. Turns out it was used 72-74, is called Burnt Orange and they had the mix for it which he gave to me for free. It is also on their website here: http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/formula/quality_list.cfm?result_c3=%20J5842%2CW41155&div_cd=DATSUN&mfg_ccd=052%2C%20&oa=N&page_id=1&search_type=vehicle&form_vm=ALL&form_mdl=INCALL&form_vp=ALL&form_vcc=052&form_vy=ALL&form_vcn=&form_ec=ALL&es=0&dm=0

I was stoked! So off I go to my painter, we mix up a little and it is real close so he sprays my doors. Well as one would except the 34 years of sun has done a little lightening to the paint on my truck so the paint does not match..very close but.. so I called S/W again and they said they offer a service that will do an exact match but it takes a month and they have to have a part of the truck to match it to and I have to buy paint from them to get the service. So now I am going through with that..I will let you know how it goes. Here are some pics. Enjoy!

click to enlarge:

th_2008_07230001.jpg

th_2008_07230002.jpg

th_2008_07230004.jpg

Thanks guys!!! Ted, I would muchly appreciate a piece large enough to maybe rubout or color sand lightly and take to a store. If it will fit in an envelope or bubble pouch that would be cool. Shouldn't be too much for USPS. I have never used SW paint, only Dupont. But a piece with paint would really help. Do You still have My address, Ted???