510 starting problem

hey guys my names josh, im new to this communtiy and i need some help with my 510. a few days ago i tried to hide some wires ( didnt cut anything or unplug anything, just move them out of the way) and while i was touching some wires down by the starter and alternator i heard a relay start making niose so i stoped, then i tried starting my car and nothing. so what happens now is when i turn my key on the fuel pump kicks on as it should, then kicks off after 5 seconds and then i try to start it and i hear my starter relay click once. then i let off the key and my fuel pump relay starts buzzing. i went back and went through all the wires i touched and everything is ok (no exposed wires or loose grounds) and now i am stuck. i have replaced the relays and it still does the same thing. but once in a while it will start and run perfect. but then i shut it off and it goes right back to doing the same thing. before i did anything this thing was my daily driver, and runs great. o and i have a 91 ka24de swap. i dont really have any idea what it could be. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys

josh

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys my names josh, im new to this communtiy and i need some help with my 510. a few days ago i tried to hide some wires ( didnt cut anything or unplug anything, just move them out of the way) and while i was touching some wires down by the starter and alternator i heard a relay start making niose so i stoped, then i tried starting my car and nothing. so what happens now is when i turn my key on the fuel pump kicks on as it should, then kicks off after 5 seconds and then i try to start it and i hear my starter relay click once. then i let off the key and my fuel pump relay starts buzzing. i went back and went through all the wires i touched and everything is ok (no exposed wires or loose grounds) and now i am stuck. i have replaced the relays and it still does the same thing. but once in a while it will start and run perfect. but then i shut it off and it goes right back to doing the same thing. before i did anything this thing was my daily driver, and runs great. o and i have a 91 ka24de swap. i dont really have any idea what it could be. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys

josh

Darn another KA issue. I feel your pain, this is what happens to us newbie try to clean up our engine bay.  I know you've already checked, but it really sounds like a loose ground wire possibility. See if you could start the car at the starter by bypassing the ignition.

You'll be fine. Something has pulled loose is all. Make sure the small wire to the starter solenoid is not damaged from pulling and the conector fits tight on the solenoid. Check the battery cable where it bolts onto the starter is tight.  

This is a picture of me doing a compression test on an engine out of a car.

CompTest_zps49e22a4f.jpg

Why am I showing you this?  Because if you look at the picture you can see to crank an engine you need only four wires.  Well, two cables and two wires.

You need a positive battery cable to the starter.

You need a negative battery cable to the engine block, or head.

You need to get positive battery power to a switch.

You need to get positive battery power FROM the switch to the small terminal on the starter solenoid.