engine build

kingandrew

i was looking for a truck and i came across this datsun 620 and i was wondering what i could do to build up the motor. i did a little bit of research and i thing it has the l20b. i am going to be using it for my daily and im not really going to baby it, so i was wondering what i can do to get a little more hp than stock but still be reliable. im working with about 2k. thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a thing called a search button in the top right hand corner, try that.

As Jayden said, there's a tonne of info on the site, pls search for it so us old hands at building engines don't have to repost things for the gazillionth time. It gets boring and tends to piss us off!

You may also want to consider reading this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Your-Nissan-Datsun-Engine/dp/1931128049

Now before you get flamed, you may want to, i.e. "DO", post an intro thread with lots of pics of your ride.

/ nice Ratwagon

• Like 1

Since all L and Z series motors will cost in the neighborhood of $1,500 to rebuild, (much less if you do some of the assembly work) Why not get a Z22 block and rebuild it? Use everything from your L20B but the block.... head and manifolds oil pan, timing cover, distributor and engine brackets. You instantly have a 'stroker' L22B. his will run a 9.84 compression and will make way more power than re-building the L20B just from increased displacement alone.

Since all L and Z series motors will cost in the neighborhood of $1,500 to rebuild, (much less if you do some of the assembly work) Why not get a Z22 block and rebuild it? Use everything from your L20B but the block.... head and manifolds oil pan, timing cover, distributor and engine brackets. You instantly have a 'stroker' L22B. his will run a 9.84 compression and will make way more power than re-building the L20B just from increased displacement alone.

Mike can you supply some more information about this?  I am currently taking a L20b out and this sounds like something I want to do to it. 

Mike can you supply some more information about this? I am currently taking a L20b out and this sounds like something I want to do to it.

On my phone so won't feed you a link, but Google ratsun.net lz22

Basically find a good complete z22 block with internals. Swap over head, pan, timing cover, dizzy... Everything but the block pistons crank, from the l20 to z22. Instant awesome.

On my phone so won't feed you a link, but Google ratsun.net lz22

Basically find a good complete z22 block with internals. Swap over head, pan, timing cover, dizzy... Everything but the block pistons crank, from the l20 to z22. Instant awesome.

Okay sweet.  I am actually google'n it right now as the search engine on this sucks sometimes.