Marmite vs Vegemite

6 members have voted

1. 1. Marmite VS Vegemite

• Marmite (current original)
    • Marmite XO (aged version)
    • Vegemite
    • Whats this nasty shit!

So guys, I know we have a lot of Aussie and EU guys around, and it is quite possible that some other people have input, but I am bored and figure why not ask. Which do you guys like best?

Personally, I haven't had any of these spreads since I was a kid. When my grandpa took me to Germany for 6 months, I remember eating Marmite as a normal snack spread on crackers and bread, usually with a sharp cheese. I didn't like it at first, but the taste was something I grew to crave.

Then, we stayed in Okinawa for a month. That was my first encounter with vegemite. The smell was horrid at first, but like most new awkward foods, I grew to overlook it. I never had a craving for vegemite that could come close to marmite though. To this day I remeber my grandpa trying his first bite of vegemite. He spread it on a buttered flat biscuit and popped it in his mouth. He then quicky reached for his beer and drank half the can. I never saw him eat vegemite or marmite again.

From what I have heard, the XO version of Marmite tastes like the version my grandparents would have eaten as kids. I have no personal experience with it, but would like to try it if possible.

I will be going to the Air Force base this weekend to stop by the Brittish Pantry and purchase a jar of marmite. For those who have never tried these products, go buy a small jar. You never know if you will like it till you try it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive eaten Vegemite once in middle school and I thought it was the most vile of substances. It was homemade so Im not sure if it was made incorrectly or I just hated it that much, but it was so disgusting that Im not going to chance it. 

Lol, homemade vegemite? That sounds horrible. I guess it could be done but I wouldn't trust it.

I will have to look up Natto. Vegemite is pretty bad, but I still ate it. Marmite I actually like :P

Edit: Just checked out natto. It doesn't look that bad. I eat tempeh (fermented soy beans made kinda in a loaf) and it is good. Wonder where I could find Natto around here to try it.

Yep, it was for a Countries Around the World project. One of the groups chose Australia and you were required to make a popular dish. They chose vegemite. Foul. Im a very picky eater, but Ill try anything once so I volunteered after no one would in class. Big mistake on my part. 

C'mon Kirden, you knew I was going to post a response :)

Vegemite wins hands down!

It's very fucking funny watching people who have never tried it before when they taste Vegemite for the first time.

Like anything, it's an acquired taste and a bit of an Aussie icon.

Vegemite and cheese, and Vegemite and celery are two of my favorites.

My advice to the haters is simple, just remember, one of its key ingredients is the same thing beer is made from.

Yep, it was for a Countries Around the World project. One of the groups chose Australia and you were required to make a popular dish. They chose vegemite. Foul. Im a very picky eater, but Ill try anything once so I volunteered after no one would in class. Big mistake on my part. 

Tristin, you need to try real Vegimite!

Clearly what you had was an inferior backyard product :)

Like anything, it's an acquired taste and a bit of an Aussie icon.

I dont believe in anything thats an acquired taste. If I have to keep forcing myself to eat it until I trick myself that its good... no thanks. Ill stick to American peanut butter. 

Lol, I was hoping you would respond. I had a friend from EVE (online game I used to play) who swore by vegemite. He wouldn't even try Marmite, even if he had nothing else to eat. He said Marmite was a rip off.

Lol, I was hoping you would respond. I had a friend from EVE (online game I used to play) who swore by vegemite. He wouldn't even try Marmite, even if he had nothing else to eat. He said Marmite was a rip off.

Rip-offs arent so bad... Oreos are a rip-off of Hydroxs. 

So according to my friend, and you saying rip offs aren't so bad, you should try Marmite :)

Record a video for this thread :thumbup:

No thank you. Its still going to be similar and I dont want to taste anything similar to vegemite. Id rather eat balute again... 

Huh, balut seems a bit strange for my tastes, but I'll try anything once. Hopefully I will be able to start traveling more. I still want to try hakarl (icelandic shark) and casu marzu, but I don't see me being able to afford those trips for a while/

Huh, balut seems a bit strange for my tastes, but I'll try anything once. Hopefully I will be able to start traveling more. I still want to try hakarl (icelandic shark) and casu marzu, but I don't see me being able to afford those trips for a while/

I wouldnt try casu marzu, but only because I do not like cheese one bit. Theres nothing you can do to convince me to eat cheese... once again, Id rather eat balute or even durian before I ate a piece of simple cheddar cheese. :sick:

Lol DatWifey. They aren't horrible.

Tristin did you ever try stinky tofu? That is one thing I want to try. My grandfather never let me eat the street foods :P

Yessir. Ive eaten all sorts of foul (and interesting foods) on my travels with the Navy. Like I said, Ill try anything once as long as its not cheese. Most of the "delicacies" have been horrid, but there are some rarer items out there that I enjoyed. Or at least items you cant get here. 

Some of the things I can think of off the top of my head that Ive eaten: stinky tofu, durian, balute (3X), live octopus, fugu, kobe tar tar (delicious!), monkey, dog, cat, and chocolate meat. Theres also all sorts of fruits from around the World which are normally very good.