My Datsun 510 project

I'm new to the forums.  I've been lurking for some time, learning what I could, and waiting for the right opportunity to pounce on a Datsun 510.

That opportunity came last night.  I purchased a 1968 2-Door Datsun 510.  I'll try and post some photos later.  It currently doesn't run and is in pieces.  I plan on doing a ground up restoration, and am pretty excited.  I plan on putting current technology brakes and suspension in the car, and plan on building up an L series motor to over 160WHP.  I could go for more power with an engine swap, but I really want that old motor sound and smell.

Some of the things that I'm struggling with (and I'll take opinions) are whether to use the 68 wide speedo, or the circle speedo that came in later cars.  I like the look of the older one, but it's a 1968 car, and I feel like visually the car should look like a 68.  In that same vein, should I do the BRE fenders and front spoiler? I like the look, but the 68 car didn't have those.  The dilemma is really do I keep it looking like a factory car, or build the car I visually like more.  Tough choice.

Looking forward to getting to know the forum better, and I'll keep this updated so you can see the build.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun and congrats on the score!

Just a heads-up though- better hurry up with the pics because...

Hell hath no fury like Ratsuners scorned (with no pics)!

I'm sure others will chime in soon, but an L-series putting out 160 whp will be awfully expensive (and less and less reliable as you shoot for higher hp).  It would be easier to get those numbers with some sort of L-Z hybrid motor, but a KA with ITBs would be a good alternative to get near 160 whp as well (and KA-E motors are 25 years old, so technically they are antiques).  

I've always been a fan of the later round-gauge instrument clusters, so that would get my vote.  But don't worry, you won't offend anyone on here by mixing and matching from the different model years, so do as you please.

Fender flares are important if you want to go with a much wider wheel/tire combo, but if you can't do bodywork yourself then make sure that you have a good shop to install the rear flares and just buy the flared front fenders (check out Futofab).  

All of your ideas simply come down to cost- doing all the work that you've outlined can get expensive, especially if you buy all of the parts new from aftermarket vendors.  Scouring junkyards and doing work yourself will help cut the total bill down.  Also checking out everything on this forum will give you ideas of how to save, and fellow Ratsuners provide lots of feedback and opinions (whether requested or not).  Hope you've got the budget to complete the build- good luck!

Glad to see another member show up. 

Personally I only like the '68/'69 cars, but on top of that the '68s are special. Id keep it looking like a '68 and do the updated restore on it... but, Im also a believer in building a car that youre happy with and not other people. If you want the circular '70s cluster, then youre going to need a full and complete '70s dash. Take the complete '68 dash and sell it to someone who can use it. Please do not try and cut up the '68 dash to fit the '70 dash in there. 

Welcome to the site. 

• Like 1

So here is a photo of it as it sits currently:

https://plus.google.com/photos/107554704580245390162/albums/5865790182878906433?authkey=COvHyZqHmMW8ZQ

Would 15x7 wheels likely stick out from the normal fenders?  That's really the main reason I was considering the fenders is that I want decent levels of grip, but I hate when the wheel/tire stick out past the fender.

I think I'm going to go with the 68 dash.  I think it's growing on me, and I like the idea of keeping the 68 the way it looked.

As far as the engine, I think I'll end up going with a L20b that's modified.  Seems like that will get me to the power that I want out of this car at a more reliable build.  Thanks for the advice toonarmy.  Sometimes a dose of realism helps.

Would 15x7 wheels likely stick out from the normal fenders?  That's really the main reason I was considering the fenders is that I want decent levels of grip, but I hate when the wheel/tire stick out past the fender.

Its all about backspacing and the amount you want to be lowered. I have 15x8 +12s in the rear with only a minor roll and they fit under stock fenders. 

Thanks for posting the picture qwik510 (I'll have to figure out how you did that).

Someone posted that they use 15x8s.  Do you run 15x8 all around or do you run a staggered stance with like 15x7 in front?  One of the things I've noticed is that 225/15 seems to be the largest summer tire available.  So would you run 225 rear and like 205 front?  Just trying to figure out what people do.

Thanks for posting the picture qwik510 (I'll have to figure out how you did that).

To post pics, go to the picture and right click on it. Then choose " Copy Image url"  

Then paste the image url in the middle of the proper image code. For some reason, this site will not allow me to post the image code by itself. 

So to do the image code you put this [ then img then ] then [ then /img then] 

or look it up on google. 

Here is your picture's url:  https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O70KT4Y1J8w/UWd5GIrtYsI/AAAAAAAAAJA/MIw_QGqFnU8/w571-h428-p-o/IMG_5635.jpg

It you paste the url  in the middle of the code (between the brackets)

, the image will appear in the post.

The way it was explained to me is that the url is the address where the image file is located on the web.

The image code tells the system to find that image and post it. 

Ok, now that you can do it, MOAR PICS  :thumbup:

Someone posted that they use 15x8s.  Do you run 15x8 all around or do you run a staggered stance with like 15x7 in front?  One of the things I've noticed is that 225/15 seems to be the largest summer tire available.  So would you run 225 rear and like 205 front?  Just trying to figure out what people do.

That was me... I would never be able to run a 225 in the rear. Hell I cant fit a 205. I would think that a camber corrected 15x8 +24 might work with a 205, but I dont know for sure.

I run 17x8.5 in the rear with the fenders rolled out a little bit. But my tires do rub when there's people in the backseat and I go around a turn sharply. I use 17x7 in the front though, I don't think anything bigger would fit.

I will say that ou can get more rolling and pulling since you have a 2dr. 

Alright wise guy haha... I thought I saw a hako fender in that picture....

- First you say found this "last night" and im 95% sure there werent any for sale in or anywhere close to kansas...

- No reaction to fellow KC'er's...

- And and icing on the cake I just saw jdm legends post a picture of this exact car or parts pile on their Instagram....

Give us a little more story.

• 1 month later...

Wow! Jackson 311 is quite the sleuth. I bought the car from JDM-L and am having them do restoration work on the car. Well done gumshoes!

Jackson 311 you should send me a PM.  I'd love to meet a fellow enthusiast in KC.  Maybe we could do lunch and you can show me your 510.

I also forgot to mention that I just got back from Salt Lake City this weekend and I have a few new photos of the car.  It's been stripped down to the bare metal and they are finishing up the body work.  It was really a pretty immaculate shell considering it's 45 years old.