'79 620 and it runs!

jvb5577

Just picked this 620 up for $500.  The one main issue is it is completely rusted threw on the drivers side floor.  Other than that its not too bad of shape.  P/O was starting to make it into a race truck but just ran out of time and money.  Looking to bring it back to life.  Had a new carb I just put on and squirt some starter fluid in and it runs.  :thumbup:
 Going to need some help on wiring up all of the smog equipment since I am in California :mad:   Anyways here are some pictures.

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous of that bed. Mine is rusted through in spots, has the rear driver's panel completely smeared with bondo, and has some butt cancer... Sand the bed and seal it before it gets worse imo, they are hard to come by.

Yeah there is some cancer rust there.  It is the only cancer rust in the bed.

Well it is running but not that great.  PO just slid a muffler onto the exhaust so many leaks and did a horrible job attempting the weld the holes in the pipe.  Also still lost on connecting all these vacuum hoses... Would have been nice to have taken everything apart to know where things went than trying to find out where they go.

Update.

Got all the vacuum hoses hooked up..I believe in the right places.  Now just have to get the exhaust welded up and hook up the automatic choke.  Just curious what the voltage should be for the automatic choke? , checked the wires and was only getting 4v with ignition in the on position engine not running.

Here is how it currently looks.

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

The radiator was full of water so there was a lot of rust in it when I took it off.  BTW are all '79 620 radiators 3 core?  Next is to pull the motor with this cherry picker I just got for $100 with an engine stand!  :thumbup:

IMG_0466.jpg

I am so jealous! I want to start on my truck but the wife won't let me tow it to the house till I have room to put it in the garage :( my beetle is killing me in expensive parts and it is taking way longer to get it back on the road then I want so no room in the inn right now lol.

I am so jealous! I want to start on my truck but the wife won't let me tow it to the house till I have room to put it in the garage :( my beetle is killing me in expensive parts and it is taking way longer to get it back on the road then I want so no room in the inn right now lol.

I think it is time for a switch.  Beetle on hold and start on the 620! :D

Good lord. An 800 dollar muffler.. Is there a secret button on there that pops a chick out to give you blowjobs?  Leeeeeeeeewlz!

Cool none the less.

RIGHT!  I dont even know what it sounds like since it was just slid on the pipe (not welded :rofl: )  Probably will keep it and put in on the truck once the motor is turned into a LZ22 :thumbup: