Center Support Bearing diffrences

ryanw1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trick question right???

The 720 4x4 doesn't have a center support bearing. Instead there is a transfer case where one would be. The driveshafts are shorter and well supported at both ends so there is no need.

The 2wd has a kit available from the Nissan dealer with a new rubber surround, bearing and new nut but it's about $140.  Then special tools and a press to change it. To be honest I've never seen a confirmed bad bearing as it supports almost no load. What causes most dive line vibration and noise is the rubber surround or isolator rots away and the unsupported driveshaft flops around.

620driveshaft003Large.jpg

What I did was wrap an inch and a half wide strip of 3/8 conveyor belt rubber around and tighten the support band down on it to hold in place. It's been suggested a long strip of inner tube would also work... thicker takes fewer wraps. Mine worked so well I never did replace it.

• Like 1

Thanks great info, this problem is on my bagged truck I guess I was driving around to much with the ass end on the ground :D The rubber is still partially there but there is alot of play in the drive shaft. I have no leaf springs its a 4 link suspension. Could most the play be from me having the car on jack stands and the rear axle moving around

• Like 1

If you go to my build page in 720 I posted a pic of my center suuport. (JT's napz build)

I had to do a lot of running around to get the right one I was comfortable with. Autozone has one for a good price but the bearing was sealed by a spring around the rubber seal where the driveshaft goes in. It didn't really fit well and the spring kept coming off so I got my money back and went to Orielly.

I had to go to their warehouse location to get it. It fit pretty well, good brand (I can't remember at the moment) , and has a warranty on it so if the rubber falls apart you can just replace it.

Cost a little over $100 but it was well worth it. After I changed it I went and did some stand burns! I'll post a pic of the box and part # if I still have it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Oops, I forgot. Well I looked and don't have the box, I must've thrown it away but if you go to Oriellyauto.com they have it for $101.99

It's the National brand but my trucks an '86. It shouldn't be no different with the older 720 models. I know some are 1 price shafts which I'm going to convert to when my center support goes out from all the burnouts. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...