Swap opinions please?

I'm debating on swapping a new powertrane into my 240z. My options are a 350 small block, a rb25det or l28et. I've been looking at prices and I just want to hear what you guys think about these swap options. So please comment, your input is much appreciated! I'm leaning towards the small block because I'm a gm fan but the inline 6's will save a lot of weight.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking ls1 w/carb conversion because I don't have the money for getting a custom harness. But I've driven a complete fuel injection and everything ls1 in a 240 and they are really fun.

I know a guy with a supercharged small block in his 240Z and it is a 180 mph car. http://www.darius240z.com/

The scarab conversion is out dated and no one uses it anymore. It sits the motor to high and forward. The go to basic 350 kit is from JTR (Jags That Run), google them they have a candy store of stuff.

The LS1 is the better choice though its lighter then the stock L6 and makes more then 3 times the power. A bunch of my buds in the nyzcc run lsx's, they are just ridiculously fun/fast/cool. The only draw back to me of that swap is it turns the car from mild to wild. I went with a build l28 and triples because I didnt want to worry all the time that if I got out of it a little I would end up in the bushes. With triples the car stays fun but much more manageable, and not remotely as fast. Depends what your goals are really...

I would take a ls1 if going v8, all the other v8s are too heavy imho. 2nd choice is the l28et, its an almost direct swap, cheapest option, easy power and good support. 

Darius up above made having a v8 s30 cool for this current generation lol. I know a lot of people who watched his sick vids and fell in love.

A pair of members i the club are installing superchargers on their lsx's, one dynod recently untuned at 550hp/tq. Just a suck amount of power to have in an s30 lol.

Darius up above made having a v8 s30 cool for this current generation lol. I know a lot of people who watched his sick vids and fell in love.

I remember when his Z was a bag of shit, and it was still fast. We ditched a few cops together in that car. Then after he started playing with it and spending some serious coin, it really came to life. I saw it pull a bike once...at 100 mph+!

I'm planing on daily driving it for a while and when I get the cash turn it into a road racer or street and strip car. And I've been looking around and I think an rb26dett will suit what I want for now. Plus I can build the motor a lot without having to beef up the bottom end. But I live in colorado and there arnt many rb's in the area so I'm having trouble finding a motor and trany.

Some people have told me the swap can cost upwards of 10k is that true or is this including upgrades to the motor? Because I intend on keeping the motor stock and doing z31 motor mounts, oil pick-up and pan then shorten and balence a drive shaft my friend has laying around from his swap. Then I'd have to figure out what I'm doing with the inter cooler and radiator but there's a lot of after market stuff for this swap I'm sure.

ya rb26 is a sensible choice, just for now and all lol.

I like how it wasnt in the original choices while also ignoring all of the previous posts haha. 

LeavingSeinfeld.gif

RB series and all its turbo trim weighs much more then an lsx. My final advice in all seriousness is to do lots more research and reading. Not knowing weights, costs, whats needed etc... sets off alarms.