620 KC overhaul

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks good. the softer wire wheels work really well 

Thanks, I did notice that the wheel works best when the wires are still long and fresh. It had more trouble the further down (and stiffer) they got. I'm not sure if the straight wire wheels will hold up for as much as I'm using these, but I will probably pick some up in the near future. I've got a couple for a hand drill, but that just doesnt spin fast enough.

My head is spinning.  How the hell to you keep track of all the things your doing?  Looks like alot of projects all at once!

Not very well! My level of organization is mediocre at best, so putting it all together will be a test of my patience. Some times I go out to the garage and just shake my head at all that's left.

Its going to get tougher once I get the big things down (Like the interior, weather stripping, wiring, etc). Right now, I'm trying to stay focused on:

1. Completing the frame (finish rust removal, primer, paint)

2. Purchase and install a tank in spare tire location

3. Purchase, bend, and install brake and fuel lines

More of the same. I think I will need another wheel before this is over. Got most of the way down the passenger side, and halfway down the driver's side. I will flip the frame over to get the underside when I finish with the top. In the areas I cant reach, I will pull out my pot blaster. I didnt want to do the whole thing with it because of the mess it makes.

20131219_203423_zpsei2sb2oo.jpg

Have you tried using the braided wire cups? I prefer them over the ones shown above. be careful with the Harbor Freight ones as they tend to shoot individual wires off at random times and this as you can imagine is very unsafe!! Go name brand on these if you can. 

• Like 1

I'm working on a write up for a 16gallon fuel cell for that location right now so that I can use the stock filler location  ;)

What cell are you going to use? The one mentioned on the last page (RCI 2172A 30x17x7) has the fill in the corner, and has some good dimensions that will fit. I may get the RCI 2162A instead though. It measures 30x12x9, so a little less wide but slightly taller. It's fill is centered on the end. Looks like with both of these (and any others for that matter) will need the 45* fill neck in order to utilize the stock fill location.

Have you tried using the braided wire cups? I prefer them over the ones shown above. be careful with the Harbor Freight ones as they tend to shoot individual wires off at random times and this as you can imagine is very unsafe!! Go name brand on these if you can. 

I've had them come out and bounce off my legs. I sometimes actually want one to stick just for it to happen...

I'm getting my stainless welding set up. I bought a bottle of gas today, flow meter and wire are in the mail and should be here the day after Christmas. My daily (Acura integra) has a horribly loud exhaust due to not running a cat, and the muffler is packed with burnt oil from my rings being bad. I'm actually surprised I haven't been pulled over yet. Given that, my funds are a bit drained so the tank and brake/fuel lines are on hold for now.

Edit:

Reorganized and cleaned the garage up. I put the engine back onto the frame to free up some space to push the cab away from my workbench.

In preparation of the uncharted territory of stainless welding, I cut up a piece of exhaust tubing I took off of the 240SX when I bought it. I suspect it's 3", but don't understand why someone would put it on because the engine was stock... When I get the materials in on Thursday, I will get to practice and make sure I don't butcher the exhaust on my car. I already have a resonator, catalytic converter, and necessary flanges to do the project. Im going to try to get some stainless sheet to repair my muffler, but that isnt as important as the cat and resonator.

20131223_225219_zpspxtkzv8y.jpg

20131223_225017_zpssk8jg39e.jpg

20131223_231503_zpsazode22a.jpg

Thanks guys. I will have to do some more research on that fuel tank. Saving ~$100 seems pretty nice, but im already in so deep that I may as well just get a metal tank.

Just hit a snag. money... The holidays and my daily's exhaust project depleted my bank account. I will have to wait a couple paychecks to get the ball rolling again. I dont have any updates on the truck, but I spent a couple days off this past week to work on this. My integra's old header met its maker when I slammed into a manhole cover exposed during road repairs. I had a spare header, but being a race style header it is longer and I had a test pipe to match it up to my exhaust. It was obnoxiously loud without a cat, so I got the materials needed to rectify that.

20131227_172434_zpsfylfhw9a.jpg

20131227_180325_zpsx2b27nnb.jpg

20131228_145433_zpsero99u0u.jpg

20131228_195740_zps4bqphfje.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...