620 KC overhaul

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew, I was getting ready to multi-quote, but I think I'll skip that.

I hadn't really thought about cutting it out for the exact reason you guys were saying, it provides reinforcement to the frame. It is ugly and unnecessary, so I will likely cut it out and replace it with 1 or 2 round tubes, something like 1-1/2" dia.

Now the updates! I made a great breakthrough today... something that I should have done long ago.

The other week I got started on it, the 240SX I bought for the suspension and engine/transmission.

20131123_145020_zps842ed2dd.jpg

20131123_164445_zpsbe6b4ae1.jpg

And tonight I got it to a point where I can wheel it into the backyard. Im going to hang onto it for now.Cpl620 has got me thinking IRS rear swap... but I think that's a little too much right now. I want to drive this thing already!

20131206_185321_zps5c2ac844.jpg

20131206_193248_zps3fa168e6.jpg

My driveway hasnt been like this in forever! 

20131206_185740_zps1a7d5497.jpg

Tomorrow I will cut off the rear bumper from the 620, and on Sunday I will pull the bed, remove the engine temporarily, and pressure wash the frame. Im saving this link (http://www.agscompany.com/automotive/brake-fuel-transmission-lines/nicopp/11) for when I get to the brakes. I wont be using steel lines. Question if anyone gets this far. Is the bed held on by anything more than 6 bolts, 3 on each side?

20131206_193344_zpsca660a12.jpg

Nice! If you have the room just stash that thing. You can sell a subframe with everything for $100 or so.

The bed only has those 6 bolts. Or is it 8?

Edit: yeah I had 8. 2 in the front and back on each side. From the looks of how your numper is welded on though, they make have taken out the bolts that were there.

I found the last two bolts, they were close to the bumper, and a pain to get at. Fortunately as well, the bumper was bolted on! I didnt notice it when I took it, but in the above picture you can see 2 bolts on the far left, alternating directions. They came out quite easily.

I asked a neighbor to borrow a pressure washer, and will get to cleaning the frame tomorrow.

IMG_1883_zpsb8c3d23c.jpg

Using the cab for storage now

IMG_1884_zpsdd1da53c.jpg

IMG_1888_zpsbd31e876.jpg

• Like 1

Lucky me I have a few of those -_-  Definitely going to make a mess, but it must be done.

So I'm contemplating the fuel cell location, and think I've decided what to do. I originally thought about putting one in the location the original tank was, along the passenger side between the frame and drive shaft. I have about 13-14" to work with width wise, but cant find any cells to match. Instead, I will remove the spare tire mounting location, and set the cell there. I'm believe there is about 34-35" within the frame rails, and 19" depth between the cross supports. I'm not sure of the height I want, but it will probably be 10" which seems to be a common height for 33" length tanks.

I will need to figure out if the exhaust will run into any issues here, but maybe I will put the muffler nearer the bed, and run the pipe the rest of the way for better clearance.

May be a little while for real updates, other than grinding/cleaning/painting areas that I wont be doing things to. I need to save up for the things I need next: Fuel cell, Fuel pump, Fly wheel, clutch & pressure plate, Fuel and brake lines, drive shaft, and the metal to mount the fuel cell.

• Like 1

Rci 2172a is the tank I put in the back of my 620 build 17 gal 30x17x7. If you plan on a rear sub frame get a smaller one I ended up moving my tank back 4 inches so I had a lot of cutting

Thanks, that's just what I'm looking for. I was hoping to get a 20-22 gallon, but I think thats going to be a bit too large.

Started to clean up the frame. I had to re-weld some things because they were the first welds I did, and well, they were shit. I took my wire wheel to the front, and mad a ton of dust. Sprayed some OSPHO (phosphoric acid) over the bare metal to protect it until I'm ready to paint.

20131210_185702_zps570bcf41.jpg

20131210_212127_zps3cf4c714.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Its been really cold outside for the past few days so I have been staying in the house. When I say cold, I mean 28-34 degrees, so I know its nothing compared to what some of you have to deal with.

I have an electric heater, but I am waiting on some 10g wire to upgrade the existing 12g I use for my compressor/welder. I would rather not fry my wiring and burn the garage down using the 12g. Once thats in, I will get going on some more progress and likely start insulating the walls to keep the heat in.

• Like 1

So I wired up the heater after doing some math. As long as I dont turn it to its highest setting, I wont exceed the amp rating of my current wiring. That warms it up a bit in there, but I havent done much.

20131216_192547_zpspoarrnvj.jpg

I continued wire-wheeling the frame, got back to the torsion rod crossmember.

20131216_192523_zpsjd7yzxd4.jpg

Can some one tell me what the tabs were for? I dont remember, and trying to figure out if I need to keep them or not.

20131216_192535_zpsdycheexy.jpg

And are these holes/caps from the factory?

20131216_192710_zpsh3x71ptr.jpg

More of the same. I think I will need another wheel before this is over. Got most of the way down the passenger side, and halfway down the driver's side. I will flip the frame over to get the underside when I finish with the top. In the areas I cant reach, I will pull out my pot blaster. I didnt want to do the whole thing with it because of the mess it makes.

20131219_203423_zpsei2sb2oo.jpg

20131219_210312_zps9qg16sva.jpg

• Like 1